Windows 11 layout weirdness(es)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Windows 11 layout weirdness(es)

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2021 Oct 10, 12:22 win10 has the marlett font.
so win11 to save amazing amount of 27,724 bytes occupied by marlett.ttf, decided to break all the older programs that use it :roll:
let's see if it will reappear for the final release of win11...
I was mistaken. Marlett is also in Windows 11 - or, well, it is in the new update 22000.258, which was released yesterday (perhaps it was missing in the initial release).

So, that should ow be a non-issue.

I can confirm I'm seeing Xs in all sidebars and the details pane at the bottom as well.

Marlett in Win 11:

X buttons in X²:
I'm sharing from Google Photos, and I have 0 clue why they have that padding space - the images themselves do not. Haven't seen this happen before with my Google Photos images....

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

now I've changed the code to use webdings they bring back marlett, typical !
anyway one less thing to worry about
btw none of your pics shows
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Yeah, I've forgotten again how to share Google Photos content.

I'll get them fixed.

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

johngalt wrote: 2021 Oct 10, 12:48 I have a different issue, and I haven't figured out how to fix it.
  • Cleanly installed Windows 11. I've cleanly installed during IP testing as well.
  • I have 2 monitors, 1 a 23 inch 1080p (1920*1080), the other a 27 inch 4K (3840*2160).
  • The 4K monitor has DPI scaling enabled, at a level of 150%
  • During X² install I enable multi-monitor manifest.
  • I'm using X² x64 via a normal install (not portable, and default location).
DPI scaling This breaks on X² in the weirdest way. X2 shows extremely small fonts (particularly in the actual panes) on both monitors. So, I change the X² executable's properties (

Code: Select all

compatibility tab --> change settings for all users --> Change high DPI settings --> High DPI scaling override
) to System (Enhanced) so that the fonts are larger, as they should be, showing pretty normal.

However, I have 4 defined profiles, plus the default profile, and 2 of those profiles seem to ignore this setting change above,. I've gone through and verified that settings and layout settings in the advanced options are identical across all 5 profiles, as far as I can see, But 2 profiles act as if I have not made the setting change above, and 3 profiles respect the change.

What am I missing?
I finally got some more time to look into this.

For whatever reason, those 2 profiles were broken. However, since the main (default) profile was not broken, and I leave that alone to use as a template (with all my customizations) to make other profiles, I deleted the 2 profiles that were problematic, and created new profiles to serve the same functions, and the new profiles did not exhibit the micro fonts.

Now, all my profiles are showing normally on both screens.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sometimes porting profiles from older computers gets in the way. In such a case do a fresh install of xplorer2 and let it figure out DPI automatically
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

This was a fresh install of Xplorer² - in fact, it was over the course of 5 fresh installs, with 4 fresh installs of Windows 11, both Insiders Preview builds, and then when the final product was released, the final stable build. It was always those 2 profiles, not any more that I created - but in testing creating new profiles, I realized that could just recreate them, as the customizations were already there in default, just a different set of folders each for one of my jobs. I then tried creating a new one and duplicating one of the misbehaving ones, and it worked fine - so I deleted the original. Then did the same for the other.

Likely it was something really stupid, but even after using a differencing program to compare settings (from .ini) between profiles, I found nothing. So, yeah, weirdness.

I'm trying to get someone to make some nice, classy icons to put in menues for the program, as the ones out now are simply too small, and the best set, to me, get fuzzy if you try to increase the size of them. I hope he can do it. His work is phenomenal.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

by "fresh install" I mean install with brand new registry settings, and nothing imported from another PC
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Whoops. My bad. I should have caught that.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

somebody said that dark mode on windows 11, shows TOOLS > OPTIONS dialog funny?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

yeah, it looks weird. Sharing photo via email.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's bad news then :(
when something works from windows 98 all the way up to v10 then breaks, you can imagine whose fault it is!
do you have any of the "experimental" win11 versions to try this in case it has been fixed?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Sorry for the late reply - No, I stopped playing with the Insiders builds because I'm working 2 jobs and need a stable system more than I need to play with experimental stuff.

I could, theoretically, install Insider builds in a VM - but I really don't have time to help M$ fix their shit when they don't bother listening to consumers in the first place.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this particular glitch is fixed
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Indeed. Now if they could fix the glitchiness of the context menu....

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2021 Oct 29, 07:57 sometimes porting profiles from older computers gets in the way. In such a case do a fresh install of xplorer2 and let it figure out DPI automatically
So I did another clean install of Win11 on my system, as I got my hands on some upgraded SSDs.

Lo, and behold, I had issues again - a couple of profiles refused to obey the High DPI System (Enhanced) setting.

I finally deleted the profile, and then created it again - and then something REALLY stupid happened - the second pane, every folder, the column headers were not showing correctly.
  • Deleted profile, built it again, and then my color coding was not enabled.
  • Deleted profile, built it again, and then the column headers were broken. Again.
I think you're right - even though I exported these settings from the same exact version, 5.1.0.3, in December, they are not working well when importing them.

Thankfully, I can decipher most of the settings in the .reg file (assisted by an additional export in .ini form) but my gosh, this is gonna take forever. I have 3 personal profiles and 2 work profiles built with loads of customization in Advanced settings.

Sigh.

The multi-monitor manifest selection during installation did nothing to prevent this weirdness from happening. And I don't want to cleanly install Windows 11 again, so I'm just going to kill all instances of X² and then delete all of the reg keys and it should act as a new, clean install, right?

Or will uninstalling it actually clean the registry the way most programs don't?

FWIW:

Windows 11 21H2 v22000.469 (Installed 6 Feb 2022)
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.469.0
Xplorer² v5.1.0.3 Ultimate
Pretty clean install, most drivers are from Microsoft, got my AMD drivers and RAID and GPU drivers installed, only customized 2 things in Win11 - permanently disabled the widgets and uninstalled the Teams chat app.
I'll do an export of my current config and keep it handy in case you want a looksie.