Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

xplorer2 beta version 5.007

Post by nikos »

new release on the horizon, here's a test version for your feedback:
https://www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_se ... t_beta.exe

here are the additions in brief, for more information see the changelog (HELP > WHATS NEW menu)
* ROBUST COPY WATCHDOG. If F5 file copy command detects a slow progress, then it offers you the option to skip the current problematic file and continue with the rest, or abort the lot.

* CONVERT GROUPS TO FOLDERS. Regular or custom groups (even fuzzy grouping) in scrap container collections can be converted into actual folders using TOOLS > EXTRACT GROUPS menu command. This can also organize files by their date modified in 2 ways

* DUPLICATES CHECKER IMPROVEMENTS. A few declone goodies make it to xplorer² like statistical large file comparison, ignore fake date differences etc

* BIGGER DIALOGS. In the interest of all mature/elderly users out there, all xplorer² dialogs get a slightly larger font that makes the difference, especially in higher resolution displays. The same goes for the internal viewer editor² and the advanced settings editor.

* MILLISECOND DATE ACCURACY. add the new ".zzz" format specification in szCustomTimeFormat registry setting (available through advanced options editor):
HH:mm:ss.zzz

* The mass rename F2 dialog will automatically generate a preview how the renamed files will look like every few seconds, so you don't have to click on PREVIEW button manually.
Also mass rename preserves the original SELECTION, despite files changing their names, so you can apply successive rename operations on the same set of files

* CREATE SYMBOLIC LINKS. xplorer² bypasses the restrictions on symlinks using a hidden elevated copy of itself.

* FIND ALL HARD LINKS. If you put a file that has one or more hard links in a scrap container (or in the miniscrap pane), then select it and press CTRL+L keys (or GOTO > FIND TARGET menu), you will see all its clones listed next to it.

* COMPARE ITEMS PROGRAMMATICALLY. A new programmable function called PNEXT fetches the next or previous filename (full path) of an item, in the order they appear in a window. This allows you to do excel-formula-like comparisons between items, combining PNEXT with FILEPROP and FILE2 functions that operate on different items. For example:
${size} - FILEPROP(${size}, PNEXT(1))
will calculate the size difference between an item and the one that immediately follows it in the list (the last item will be empty as there's no item following it)

* VIEW > ARRANGE BY > CUSTOM GROUPS dialog allows you to duplicate a category filter (use the little toolbar or the context menu), so e.g. you can create similar groupings by date, each with a different year.

* Switched to unicode NSIS installer, that shows correctly in most PCs except ancient ones running windows 98. Sadly you can no longer install xplorer² on windows 98 -- to the dismay of windows historians :)

* The filterbar box in the addressbar can be bigger than the path box, up to 80% of the total available width. This is useful for scrap windows where the path box is rather useless. Use nFilterBox100 registry tweak or advanced options editor to change the relative percentage.

* Filter as you type now allowed in the quick filter box (for smallish folders) even when ALL PROPERTIES option is ticked in the filter box menu.

* Fixed some addressbar paint glitches when using super large icons

* Many progress dialogs (e.g. folder statistics, flattening paths) have a little clock button that can be used to temporarily pause then resume a long operation. Click CANCEL to abort altogether

* Double click to the left end of the status bar to repeat the last message, whatever it was, in case you didn't get the chance to read it before it disappeared

* better handling of phone paths, more readable subfolder names

* registry tweak DPF_JUNKLOKEDTABS (=hex 0x1000000) ignores any locked tabs when restoring saved folder groups.

* If you have your license key saved in a text file, you can drag-drop the license file to xplorer² license manager dialog instead of copy/pasting the text key. Ssadly this does not work from email attachmens, you must first drop the attachment on the desktop.

* if you create a new file or folder and you don't rename it, it is sorted properly -- if you have the option "automatically re-sort contents..." ticked (TOOLS > OPTIONS menu, Window property page).

* the odd bugfix
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: xplorer2 beta version 5.007

Post by Tuxman »

Switched to unicode NSIS installer, that shows correctly in most PCs except ancient ones running windows 98.
If you have your license key saved in a text file, you can drag-drop the license file to xplorer² license manager dialog instead of copy/pasting the text key. Ssadly this does not work from email attachmens, you must first drop the attachment on the desktop.
Sounds like a job for OLE.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so much for unicode installers!?
anybody here using xplorer2 in far east? Do you see funny question marks?

ps. the weird thing is that the titlebar is showing the 2 exponent correctly but the internal text not!?

never mind, problem sorted
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Thanks for the slightly larger dialog text. The new icons in the dialogs, though, are harsh (starkly black and white) and awkward graphically. and I could not make visual sense of some of them (I had to click on a couple to see what they were). The old ones were graceful and clear. (Yes, de gustibus and all that, but I thought I'd comment anyway.) I look forward to the final.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

they look daft but you won't believe the problems I had with them... lost a couple of days and decided to stuff it :)
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

FWIW, my installer looked perfectly normal, no missing characters / replaced characters. The superscript 2 was visible normally everywhere throughout the install process.

FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Nikos, did you add any commands to the x2 main menu?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no, only one command for scrap windows
mragtronx8

Post by mragtronx8 »

nikos,
will there be an option/choice if the user would want the small size option display?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you mean the dialogs? it's not easy to resize them... I only increased the font size by 1, from 8 to 9 points
mragtronx8

Post by mragtronx8 »

nikos wrote: 2021 Oct 14, 18:27 you mean the dialogs? it's not easy to resize them... I only increased the font size by 1, from 8 to 9 points
yeah dialogs. Can there be a user choice [small/big]?
sometimes having bigger font size, strains the eye "in my case"

would it be possible to keep size options [up to the user preferences].
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry but it's not easy to switch dialog sizes like that... and since xplorer2 is popular with the elderly mostly, and we're not getting any younger, us mature people need bigger fonts :)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

nikos wrote: 2021 Oct 11, 08:55 * FIND ALL HARD LINKS. If you put a file that has one or more hard links in a scrap container (or in the miniscrap pane), then select it and press CTRL+L keys (or GOTO > FIND TARGET menu), you will see all its clones listed next to it.
The Find Target command in the scrap pane menu in under Tools rather than Go to.
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

nikos wrote: 2021 Oct 13, 05:06 they look daft but you won't believe the problems I had with them... lost a couple of days and decided to stuff it :)
I agree with otlaolap, I don't like them either. Ugly is how I would describe them. Sadly, you wasted two days!!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if one of you can design and send me a bitmap with better looking 20x20 buttons for this toolbar, I will add it in. These buttons are needed
// ID_LTB_NEW ID_LTB_DELETE ID_LTB_EDIT ID_LTB_UP ID_LTB_DOWN ID_LTB_COPY ID_LTB_DUPLICATE