tabbed exploring?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

[OT] it was slowing down the PC, and also triggering unforeseen actions (I had to find the root cause and then turn off that particular setting. The "finding" part is damned tough- there are so many of actions! )
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

narayan wrote:Yes, you can use PowerPro (I dumped it long ago- I prefer PowerMenu)
Well, being a hopeless freeware junkie :) I took a look at both PowerMenu and PowerPro, and immediately added PowerMenu to my list of "must-have". It does a specific focused job in a minimalist way, with no added windows or dialogs to deal with. PowerPro (which is not free) does a lot of stuff which I already have covered on my system.

The only issue I have with PowerMenu is it can't seem to find its own help file! :?
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

I thought PowerPro is free. It is isn't it?

PowerMenu was my choice for the longest time, but when I inspected PowerPro, I was able to strip it down to it's bare minimum so my min and close buttons have double the functionality (mid-click 'X' to have window stay on top, mid-click '_' to have a transparent window).
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

mimeryme wrote:I thought PowerPro is free. It is isn't it?)
Sorry, my mistake. Must have been reading six other Web pages ;)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Requiem, a comprehensive solution is like this:

1. Launch a scrap pane (windows menu)
2. make it single-pane (if it is double-paned, press CTRL+O)
3. Resize its window to a convenient size. Using PowerPro/PowerMenu keep it on top.
4. Search for all "destination" folders. Drag-n-drop these folders into this scrap pane. (Don't worry- the actual folders remain where they are. Here, you will just get a shortcut. This is the exact equivalent of what you were doing on desktop.)
5. Once you have created all shortcuts in the scrap pane, resize it once again to show all folders. (Tip: You may want to reduce the pane width: Just the initial words in a folder name are usually enough for you to guess its full name.)
6. If you are going to use these same destination folders time and again, it's a good idea to save the scrap pane. Press CTRL+S (or from Actions menu, select the "Write contents" option.) Specify a filename that you'll remember easily.
6. Use both panes of x2 to browse your source folders, and start dragging items to the scrap pane (i.e., to the destination folder of your choice)
* Note that these transfers are on real-time basis.
(In other words, it does not matter if you save or don't save the scrap pane again: these transfers take place instantly. This is not like a Word or Excel document, where you can revert to the previous state by not saving the changes.)
* To copy the selection, press CTRL while dragging
* To move the selection, press SHFT while dragging
* While dragging, when your mouse pointer reaches the scrap pane's area, it turns to "shortcut". Don't worry about it--it simply means that the scrap pane is ready to accept it as a shortcut. However, when your pointer reaches the destination folder, it will change to "copy" or "move", depending upon your drag-modifier.

This method has several advantages over what you are doing:

* The scrap pane shows all folders with folder icons (not shortcut icons). That is more intuitive.
* No clutter on desktop
* No clutter on the screen (just one scrap window on top)--you don't need to move around multiple windows.
* At any time, you can modify the shortcuts in the scrap pane.
* At any time, you can view any (or all) of the destination folders.
(to do so, just click on it in the scrap pane. It will pop up in a separate window. To load it into the active pane of x2, just press CTRL while clicking.)

P.S. Some of this may seem obvious to you, but I aim for (over)simplified instructions because a lot of newbie users would be reading this..
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

Post-requiem or few questions concerning (almost) offtopic discussion:

by nikos
Perhaps that idea about a keyboard shortcut to send items to scraps makes sense all of a sudden!

There are so many (most unique!) features are made, so it's quite easy to forget something pretty obvious ;)

I would also like to hint about hot-keys for closing Scrap and Console windows. Esc, Alt-X / Ctr+Q (but not same as x1 itself), Ctr+W maybe (more common, so Ctr+Tab/S for WindowList, Ctr+Shift for command line).

by nikos
you can turn the toolbar off (View menu) but not the menu

And you know what.. it would be also pretty welcomed! :)
It isn't a common feature, but one can try it in MyIE2 (free/superb addon to IE).
There you toggle them with Ctrl+F11, but you still can invoke them with Alt+F/E/etc keys when menu is invisible.
Damn useless (empty most 2/3 of screen) line isn't there. Everything is neat and compact! And even more valuable in light of Scrap windows..
Ok,ok.. I'm too insisting ;)

Regards,
Anatoly Y
3dogs

swap button

Post by 3dogs »

Is there a way to add a swap button?  I know there is a keyboard command and a pull down menu method, but a button would go a long way to mimicking tabs for me at least.  Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

search this forum for "menuhack"
3dogs

thanks

Post by 3dogs »

nikos;

That hack seems beyond my ablitly as I am not a coder, but perhaps soneone else will use it.

Do you expect programmable buttons to make it to a version any time soon?  If so, when would you think?  Thanks again.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

full customization is in the plans but not for the immediate future
sorry i can't be more specific
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: thanks

Post by snakebyte »

3dogs wrote: That hack seems beyond my ablitly as I am not a coder, but perhaps soneone else will use it.
I'm sorry the original post contains implementation details which makes hack look difficult to use. Here is the simplified version. Hopefully this helps you.

MenuHack.exe will let you add any Xplorer2 menu item or Xplorer2 Hotkey to your toolbar.  This example shows how to add list and detail view options to your toolbar.

1. Download  MenuHack.exeto some folder (say C:\My Downloads)

2. Create two new user command in Xplorer2. Go to Customize->User commands ->Add new. Fill out Name and Description as specified below.

Note: Don't skip ">" symbol at start of your description.

Code: Select all

Name: List 
Description: >"C:\My Downloads\MenuHack.exe" 32782  

Code: Select all

Name: Detail 
Description: >"C:\My Downloads\MenuHack.exe" 32783  
3. Add these two commands to your toolbar, by right clicking on your toolbar and choosing customize. Add "List" and "Detail" commands that you created earlier from left list box to the right one.

Download complete menu id and hotkey list from here.
http://home.comcast.net/~anunay/hacks/X ... mmands.txt
http://home.comcast.net/~anunay/hacks/X ... otkeys.txt

In your case swap pane menu id is 32862
Last edited by snakebyte on 2006 May 25, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
3dogs

closer, but still a few questions

Post by 3dogs »

snakebyte;' thanks for the explanation.  It might be a little too simplified because I could not get it to work.

1. I downloaded menuhack.exe.  
2. I could not find out how to create a new user command in Xplorer2.
3.  I'm not there yet, but its not clear to me how I will add the commands to my toolbar.  Is it a function of Xplorer2 or menuhack?

I noticed that when I click on menuhack.exe I get an error; "Usage: MenueHack.exec <Xplorer2 Main ID>.  Is that normal at this stage or it a real error.

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

create user command: see Customize menu
after you create your command, right click on  the toolbar and pick customize to add the new button (it should be towards the end, checkout for the command name you gave)
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

I've edited my last post above↑and added the missing steps. Hope this helps.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.