Thumbnails not displaying

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

wassup

Thumbnails not displaying

Post by wassup »

With the alpha xplorer2 0.0.0.53 when I select Thumbnail view I get mostly NO THUMB except for .bmp's which display fine,
Any ideas?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Check the file sizes you are trying to preview.
I suspect the graphic files that do not display are larger than the setting of the registry key value for nMaxFileSizeThumb.

To display larger files in the QuickView pane, exit all instances of x2 and use regedit to set a larger value.

Start|Run|Open:[regedit] ... & navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2
& edit the data for keyName nMaxFileSizeThumb

When you restart x2, you should be able to see a previiew of all files up to the size limit you set. (Hint: a setting of 0 results in no limit.)

(& It shouldn't be a function of file type -- except that text files should display the text & files that are judged to be binary will display in HEX.)
wassup

Post by wassup »

Thanks for reply.
Changed the value to 0 and .bmp's show up bright and clear but still only .bmp's.
I suspect this is a system problem.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

What types of files are not displaying in the preview pane?
Have they displayed properly for you with an earlier version of x2?
wassup

Post by wassup »

When I choose View/Pane Style/Thumbnails I get Folder Icons and .bmp files displayed, everything else is NO THUMB.
I have used 2xExplorer extensively but this is my first attempt at xplorer2.
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

Can you view the files as thumbnails in explorer?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Please explain your use of "everything else" with some specific file types (& their size) -- especially for a graphics file that previews OK for you with 2xExplorer.

Also please be more specific for "NO THUMB" (i.e. "blank", or "get a HEX list instead of a picture")
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

fgagnon wrote:Please explain your use of "everything else" with some specific file types (& their size) -- especially for a graphics file that previews OK for you with 2xExplorer.

Also please be more specific for "NO THUMB" (i.e. "blank", or "get a HEX list instead of a picture")
Fred, I think wassup is referring to the thumbnails displayed in the pane and not the separate preview window which you can get by hitting Ctrl+Q. You don't get a hex listing when and icon isn't found in the file/folder which is shown in the pane, but a little icon showing the text 'NO THUMB' between two horizontal bars.

I think you're talking about different things here... :wink:

@wassup I do get perfect thumbnails for all kinds of graphic formats, such as gif, jpg and bmp. So it must be something in your settings or system. The question is already asked, but do you see thumbnails for the formats other than bmp in windows explorer??
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

By golly, you are right Jan -- I didn't think of that because I don't use 'thunbnails' for my pane style as a rule (I prefer 'details', almost exclusively) & missed wassup's plain statement of using that pane style. :oops:

But when I tried it, I DO see thumbnails properly displayed for most types of graphics files, & "NO THUMB" for other file types.
Other file types include plain text files & proprietary graphic files that need profe$$ional software to view or non-public-domain formatted graphic files, regardless of extension. Even Microsoft Office files (.xls, .doc, .ppt) display thumbnails providing that when they were saved, they have the "save preview picture" attribute turned ON.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Yep, same goes for me. I too see all thumbnails that can be expected to work because of the file type association (.doc == Winword, and so on). And yes, I too use 'details' view almost exclusively (like to be in control and see as much files as possible on the limited space of a pane). I think thumbnails view is useful though when viewing folders with all pictures (photo's and the like) in them (but QuickView gives you a better view).

So I think wassup is having the same difficulties when using explorer. Let's see what he has to tell us about that ;)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn: