FTP not working?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

No, nikos. I only can with a FTP Client...
WinXP Pro SP2
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Well then, Nikos, I think it's time to stop wasting effort on ftp for a while -- given that the present syntax will be phased out by m$ & it's insecure for shared access (& maybe for picking along the route). Although this may disappoint some (& your creative juices) , I think ftp has to come off the priority list. :!:
Jaykul

Post by Jaykul »

FIRST: my network places FTP sites work GREAT, even through our proxy.

SECOND: when you need to ftp through a firewall .... you can usually do so. Imagine we want to ftp to ftp.myserver.com ... it goes something like this: Say your ftp proxy is ftp-proxy.domain.com and it's a user@host proxy ...

Normally you would ftp://username:password@ftp.myserver.com but because of your firewall, you need:

ftp://userName@ftp.myserver.com:passwor ... omain.com/

But xplorer 2 will screw up that first @ if you type it in the address bar ... so to type it in, you need to url encode it:

ftp://userName%40ftp.myserver.com:passw ... omain.com/

---
Nikos: I'm not sure what's going on, because once I'm connected, the %40 gets converted to an @ in the address bar display (but if I click in there and hit ENTER, "The CPU cannot make sense..."). However, it works fine, except clicking on the captionbar causes that same (can't make sense) error, so I have to navigate with the tree (which I do anyway).

What's this about MS dropping the syntax? Where did you read that? I thought this was standard syntax for username-passwords (you'll find it works with http-authentication websites too, and not just in IE)
--
::Jaykul
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

check this out:
http://www.windows-help.net/microsoft/ie-spoof.html

may i reiterate that the whole ftp thingy in x2 is 100% underwritten by IE/m$. x2 just reads whatever is provided just like as if it was a regular network folder