an F2 rename suggestion

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

an F2 rename suggestion

Post by fgagnon »

I like the x2 feature of selecting just the filename (sans extension) in response to F2 for renaming. Here's a suggestion for next level of sophistication - when you don't want a complete rename but only to add a distinguishing character:
Following F2 keystroke, make it so rightarrow moves cursor to end of filename to prepare adding a version number. (Saves a keystroke for a common type of renamimg.)

{note that the complememtary direction [F2, leftarrow] isn't needed to prepend characters to filename, because [F2, Home] has this covered.}
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as in... saving one the left arrow press?
i would have sworn this was narayan's idea :)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Guilty by association: It must rub off :wink:
adsnook

Post by adsnook »

Ok, while we are on the subject of F2, how about this for a keystroke-saving suggestion.

Having F2 excluding selection of the file extension is often useful, but not always what I want. My most common reason for using F2 is not to rename at all, but to copy an entire filename to the clipboard, to be pasted in somewhere else. ie. [F2, Shift-End, Ctrl-C]. This keystroke sequence requires some degree of digital dexterity! :?

So how about the first press of F2 behaves as it does currently, but then pressing F2 a second time (while still in rename mode) causes the entire filename to be selected. Then I could use [F2, F2, Ctrl-C], a much easier key sequence to execute :D
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

fred-
Following F2 keystroke, make it so rightarrow moves cursor to end of filename to prepare adding a version number. (Saves a keystroke for a common type of renamimg.)
My dear accomplice, that's what happens in x2 even now! ;)

In other words, the "anchor point" is at the extreme right position, even now.

Reporting for NT4 and 2k.

What do you see?

adsnook-I like the idea of 2xF2, but your description of current practice puzzles me: just F2 and CTRL+C should do; because the entire filename is highlighted by default.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

my dear keystroke-saving mentor,

What I see is the following
1. F2 selects filename (hi-lites it), excluding the ".extension"
2. rightarrow unselects filename & places cursor between "." & "extension"
3. I next have to go to the "great trouble" of pressing leftarrow once to place cursor to left of "." so I can append "-n" to filename.

(whew!)

This happens for both 2k & XP-pro. :cry:
Perhaps you have set "Hide extensions for known file types"?
{Control panel|Folder Options|View|...}
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Yes, I have. Why don't you also? After all, we do have CTRL+F2 if you want to edit the extensions, which would be rarely required, anyway.

Some day, hopefully, there will be an application that works with just our eyebrows--no exhausting keystrokes! :)

I have always maintained that ALT+C needs to be enhanced to include other options like PathCopy. Right now it gives full path or just the 8.3 name. All other options should be made available (let it be user-settable if required).

I am going to rest now...
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Just my 2cs worth (as an anti-virus researcher), but hiding extensions is a very dangerous thing to do/allow... for example, many viruses and worms will send themselves in files with a double extension, eg. filename.zip.pif. Windows will draw the default .zip icon, and you would never know the difference. Also, some worms are .exe files, but include a common zip icon (for example) in their resource section so they appear to be .zip files...

Basically, the point is that you cannot trust windows to determine the filetype for you; it is too easily fooled... you have to do it yourself.
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Ok.

How about using the "extension" column side-by-side? So, while you "see" the required extension information, the extension does not hamper your editing operations.

I know Nikos will be very happy with this solution. ;)
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

Back to subj again.
Has anyone unraveled, why Ctr+F2 has special "dialog" for it, instead of in-pane f-name (not extension?) selection of usual F2? Is there any special functionality in that window (w/ drop-down menu)?
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Interesting question!

Nikos- is that because extension column is usually not displayed?

And why the drop down list? It does not show any other things.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you should know!
when extensions are hidden the name column doesn't show them and hence cannot be edited
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

narayan wrote:And why the drop down list? It does not show any other things.
And what about this Nikos? Why is the drop-down listbox in this dialog??
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's one dialog for "generic input" and it has a drop list. In this occasion it isn't used; filters etc use it!