Browse For Folder dialog

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Browse For Folder dialog

Post by jimspoon »

A suggestion - how about a keystroke (perhaps Shift+F5/F6, or Ctrl/Shift) to go *directly* to the Browse For Folder when copying/moving files.

And, in the Browse for Folder dialog, it would be handy if the focus would go directly to the folder tree, no tabbing required, with the focus on the folder where it was last (persistent).

This is a handy feature for me in Outlook/Outlook Express - I use Ctrl-Shift-V to move messages this way - very efficient.
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

i'm not sure i follow exactly wot u mean... the "browse for folder" dialogue is part of windows not x2 i think... altho i might be wrong. anyway i never see it when copying or moving in x2, how do u get it?

and wot about the current F5/F6 copy/move shortcuts which are both self-contained x2 features? with the source and destination folders browsed in each pane, it is a model of elegant efficiency...
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

Hi Kev,

Essentially I'm talking about eliminating a lot of keystrokes.

Say I want to move files from one pane to a folder OTHER than the folder displayed in the other pane, using the keyboard. I press F6 and up pops the dialog box - "Move to Destination Folder". The radio button appears next to the "Opposite Pane" - by default, pressing Enter will move the files to the folder displayed in the opposite pane.

But I want to move the files to a different folder. I could start typing in a path in the "Here" text box. That's a nice feature.

But say I want to browse for the destination path. I have to press Tab and Enter, and that brings up the Browse for Folder dialog. That's two keystrokes.

Now in the Browse for Folder dialog, the focus is on the "OK" button. To change the destination folder, I have to press Tab, Tab to get to the folder tree. Two more keystrokes.

The folder tree shows the Desktop at the top of the tree, and one level of folders below, with the focus on the "My Documents" folder. I can use arrow keys to navigate a destination folder, (for example, C:\data) then press Enter.

Now I'm back at the Move to Destination dialog. The focus is on the ".." browse button. I have to press Tab to get to the Move button, and then press Enter. Two more keystrokes. The file is moved.

Now, let's say I want to move another file to a different destination folder. F6, tab to the ... button, Enter - and the tree is back to the top level again, on the "My Documents" folder. It would be better if the focus were on the folder that was just used as the destination folder. That way, fewer keystrokes would be required to navigate to my desired destination folder.

Now instead of all these keystrokes, I'm suggesting a single keystroke to bring up the Browse for Folder dialog, with the focus already in the folder tree, on the last folder used as a destination folder.

If you happen to use Outlook or Outlook Express, try moving items using Ctrl-Shift-V, and you will see what I mean! It works as I've described, and it is very efficient!
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

correction - I just tried moving some files using the keyboard to get to the Browse to Folder dialog. I discovered that when I bring up the Browse for Folder dialog the second time, the highlight is on the folder that was last used as a destination folder. That's good.

But still there are all those keystrokes that are required to get TO that folder tree, as I described in my previous post. The number of keystrokes required could be reduced.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't control the main "browse for folder" dialog, so i couldn't save you anything there

now regarding the F5 dialog, if the focus is by default on the browse button you won't be able to type directly. So it's a win-some-lose-some scenario
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

That's why I suggest a keystroke to bypass the dialog box (Copy/Move to Destination Folder) altogether.

Just like you've done with Ctrl-F5, when you *know* you want to copy to the opposite pane, Ctrl-F5 bypasses the dialog and copies directly.

Similarly, if you *know* you want to browse for the destination folder, it would be good to have a keystroke (Shift-F5? Ctrl-Shift-F5?) that takes you directly to the Browse for Folder dialog, and when you click "OK" after selecting the destination folder in that dialog, the folders are copied directly. So that you never even see the "Copy to Destination Folder" dialog.

This would be helpful for somebody like me - I collect a lot of files in a "download" directory, and when I have time, i start moving them to a more appropriate location, often one at a time.
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

Perhaps somebody might be interested; I have a shell extension program that does what I'm talking about ... PowerShell XP ... puts "Copy to Folder" and "Move to Folder" options on the right-click menu. Menu key, V, and and there I am a "Move Items" dialog. Works just fine with x2.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Jimspoon, it would be a better idea to keep all likely destination folders in a scrap pane, and then keep this pane on top (use PowerPro or PowerMenu)

Then, you can move/copy your selections to any destination folder listed in the scrap pane: simply drag-n-drop your selection on the target folder in the scrap pane.

You can save this scrap pane.

Advantage:
1. Frequent browsing for desired folder is avoided.
2. By saving the scrap pane, you can remember the terget folder list.