Well... that does it

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

dfx

Well... that does it

Post by dfx »

It is always good to see a new version... but I'm having some mixed feelings also. You see, I find it increasingly annoying that the changelog isn't kept up to date and as such we are left to guess what has been added, changed or fixed. I find this truly puzzling especially since the whole point of having these debug-info-stuffed alpha versions is to TEST them... but how are we suppose to test if something broken has been fixed or if something new actually works if we don't know it has been fixed or added?

Now I'm not asking for a 3-page change description will full explanation for each new feature for every new release... just as short list with all changes like such.

+ Added Shift+Ctrl+Alt+F for funky stuff
- Fixed bug bla bla
- Redesigned About box

... would do nicely so at least we know what is going on and can test effectively. Otherwise what is the point of having alpha versions anyhow... you might as well keep programming until 1.0 is done and release it in one go.

Well, of course I would not want to see that happen, and I will keep using/testing the alpha versions regardless. I just hope that you understand my (and quite possibly others) frustrations about this.

my 2 cents
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

patience sir! :)

well the log is updated, if you diff alpha.txt you'll find lines with all the (big) new additions right at the top

i was planning to write details with this version but ended up adding features instead.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Actually the new/changed features ARE listed
as the last 4 bullets (*) under ADDITIONS
* WMP7
* clickable/dropable titlebar
* add to scrap command ctrl+s
* type fullpaths in scrap addressbar to insert; also log problems
never mind that the heading still says
21.December.2003
... but I agree that it would be a good idea for the 'testers' to have a slightly less cryptic list to focus upon.
[fg edit to post (addition)]: I see nikos beat me to his own defense, while I was composing the above to post.
Neverthe less, I think it is not too much to ask that it not be a puzzle for us to solve by having to "diff" the alpha.txt files. ADDITIONS could be stated as:
ADDITIONS
[.56]
* WMP7
* clickable/dropable titlebar
* add to scrap command ctrl+s
* type fullpaths in scrap addressbar to insert; also log problems
[.55]
* individual saved folder settings
[.54]
* ftp access with path: ftp://user:password@ftpsite.com/
* autosize columns
* text only mode for quickviewer
dfx

Post by dfx »

nikos wrote: well the log is updated, if you diff alpha.txt you'll find lines with all the (big) new additions right at the top
Indeed. I overlooked that one and feel embarrassed to say the least. :oops:

That does nicely, just add the version number to the log and I'll be happy. A full description of all features would be nice too every now and then but it would be overkill to do that for every version.