cant tab between panes when copying files

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

derailer

cant tab between panes when copying files

Post by derailer »

hopefully this isnt a redux. i noticed a small bug with xplorer2 .56 (im running xp) . when i am copying files from one pane to the other, i cannot tab between panes anymore. rather i am stuck in the pane i am copying to, and i have to click my mouse in the other pane in order to activate it rather than simply tabbing. anyway, thanks alot for this fuckng excellent program! i havent seen explorers ugly face in many months :)
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

This has been reported before. Mouse actions seem to work, but most (or all??) keyboard functions are disabled during a copy/move operation.

Any news on this Nikos or do we have to live with this disability ??
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I hadn't noticed that as an issue before.
Now I see that tabbing doesn't work during the copy process, however normal tabbing response returns when copy has completed.
& I see the same behaviour on the one older version I checked [.52]

Where/when does this become a real problem, derailer ? [/b]

{my apologies, JRz, you must have posted just as I started to compose the above, & got interrupted. :oops: }
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

fgagnon wrote:... my apologies, JRz, you must have posted just as I started to compose the above, & got interrupted. :oops: ...
No need for apologies Fred :)

I tried to find a previous post on this particular subject, but was unable to find it so far. I'll try searching for it again. If my memory doesn't fail me I've mentioned this before to Nikos. I'll get back on this shortly...

[Edit addition]
I've found a post which covers this topic, albeit briefly http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=61 ... board#6104

@Nikos Is this 'ignorance' of the keyboard by design or can you do something about it (without too much effort of course ;) )
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

technically speaking, copying etc is a "modal process" i.e. the rest of the x2 window is blocked till it finishes. I went into great effort to allow things to operate even during copies, but no keyboard accelerators work. This is not easy to circumvent. It is much easier to open another x2 window

what i don't like at all is what happens during searches, when the ESC key detection eats up most of the keys so you end up using menus then, too
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

Reminded me of a story:

Bill Gates' son came to him asking:
- Father, is it true that Windows95 is multitasking OS?
- Yep, that's right!
- Can you show me?
- Sure, just wait till floppy formatting is finished

;)

So, is it possible to detach copy/move/etc as separate processes (file operations themselves, not UI/selections)?