Pane title bars, system menu and the external editor

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

robwg

Pane title bars, system menu and the external editor

Post by robwg »

I've put the latest xplorer2 on my work and home pcs. At work (where I've had a few x2 alphas) I don't get the spiffy new title bars on the panes. At home (where this is the first x2 I've tried) I do get them.

Is there a registry setting I need to tweak to get them on both?

Also on both PCs (both Win 98) I notice that double clicking the system menu to close the program doesn't seem to work anymore. I know I should get used to using the close button, but old habits...

Finally, the external editor. It would be really good if you could specify a few replaceable parameters in the command line. In particular the ones I have in mind are:
- an option to pass the list of all the selected files to the editor. At the moment each file is opened in a new editor

- the search facility is great, and the highlighting of the search term in the QuickView window is a brilliant idea. If you could pass the search string to the external editor on the command line it would be even better!

I use GVim as my editor (yeah I know!) so specifying:
gvim file.txt +/Text
on the command line takes you to the first occurence of Text in file.txt. It works ok if you specify more than one file as well, just going to the first match in the first file. I'm sure other editors must have similar features so it could be useful I think.

Thanks for a great program!!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you mean you don't see the clickable part or you can't see any titlebars at all? If the latter, just delete the registry key and you should get them by default

one advantage of using editor2 as the viewer (you can have another external too) is that you get all the search options automatically passed on. You can't do that with any other program, sorry

BTW i can d-click to close the window no problemo on my w2000
robwg

Post by robwg »

The whole title bar doesn't show. I'll try deleting the registry key on Monday.

Maybe the system menu oddity is a Win98 thing as it happens on both the machines I've tried it on. Just drops the menu down. Once it's dropped down a second double click does close the program.

Would you consider the external editor token thing as a suggestion for the future? I do use your editor for some tasks, but prefer the external for Perl, HTML and other things that benefit from syntax highlighting.

Thanks for replying Nikos.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it isn't feasible really unless these other editors had command line arguments to specify what to hilight once the file was loaded
pellewalter

Post by pellewalter »

I have the same problem (i think). I can't see any titlebars(where you double-click to get to the parent folder) on the folder panes. The strange thing is that i can see them when i am logged in as "Guest" on my computer, but not when i use my regular account. I use windows Xp by the way.
But it still is a kick-ass application!
pellewalter

Post by pellewalter »

I solved the problem now. I exported the registry information about xplorer2 in my guest account and imported it in my regular account.
plas

Post by plas »

I have Win98 and I often used double-click on the top left corner to close the window. It worked in 2xExplorer and 2xEditor, but it doesn't work in xplorer2 and editor2. :(