Sort Order

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ZAKhan

Sort Order

Post by ZAKhan »

is it possible to have the folder on the top of the list and then files and each then sorted on the order selected (like it is in the Windows Explorer).

It becomes a pain at times in a huge directory to find one or two directories where they are located because they endup somewhere in the middle.

I have directories where there are more than 500 files and some subdirectories and then its a real pain to find the directory.

Please consider this.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Folders should appear at the top of your pane by default!!
But you can easily sort things by specifying sort by name (which is what you want I suspect).

Go to the menu View|Arrange by > and be sure to get a tick mark next to the Name item.

Or, if you're using detail view (menu View|Pane style > Detail), just click once on the name column to get things sorted by name (click again and you'll get the descending sort order, but still with folders at the top! This is different (read: better) from M$ Explorer, which also puts folders at the bottom - at least on Windows XP it does :( -)

This should get things done...
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
ZAKhan

Post by ZAKhan »

What I meant was actually which I didnot mention in my earlier msg (sorry for that), when I have TYPE as sort order the folders should apprear on the top and then files and both respectively sorted by type and then name, that would be a GREAT help.

Which means that Folders should remain on the top no matter what order is selected unless its desending order in which case the Folders will be at the bottom and in reverse order. The sort is then applied to the folder and then to the files ...

I Hope I have clarified myself this time.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

ZAKhan wrote:What I meant was actually which I didnot mention in my earlier msg (sorry for that), when I have TYPE as sort order the folders should apprear on the top and then files and both respectively sorted by type and then name, that would be a GREAT help.
Well, if you are using X2.57 (as I am) you should just get this behaviour you describe. I forgot to mention (yes, me too :oops: ) that in the menu View|Arrange by > the item Unsorted must not be checked (so no tick mark left of it)
If you sort by TYPE, folders should appear on top and they do obey the sorting rules you specify (folders sorted by extension first and then by name). Please let me know what version you have a if the setting I mentioned (unsorted) isn't the problem.
ZAKhan wrote:Which means that Folders should remain on the top no matter what order is selected unless its desending order in which case the Folders will be at the bottom and in reverse order. The sort is then applied to the folder and then to the files ...
Yes, folders are always at the top. And then I do mean always, because even when you sort in descending order, they stay on top but are sorted descending too. This is by design, because the M$ way to put folders at the bottom is counter intuitive. Again, the sorting is done on folders and files the way you specify, but folders are glued to the top of the pane. That's the only difference.

So what is happening in your case? You obviously see something different happening? Can you give some more info (example perhaps)?
ZAKhan

Post by ZAKhan »

First lets clarify one thing here you say "Version X2.57" duh!

Brother I'm talking about "xplorer² alpha [0.0.0.57] (522 kB) (* last updated on 06.Feb.04)"

Is there is another version that I donot know about?
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

There is no need to be like that. It is a simple typo and its easier to say .57 instead of 0.0.057.

I suggest you look at you own message before critising others. :mad:
Vas
ZAKhan

Post by ZAKhan »

Ah just realised that where X2.57 came from :) ... phew now that is out of the way and we are talking of the same version lets get on with it ...

Now that I know where the problem lies lemme say a picture is better than 1000 words so ... here it is

See the JPG and winamp.exe on the top of the folders and see the col TYPE is the sort order.

If I do it from Veiw|Arrange by> then the items are sorted properly but if I click the col. TYPE to change the order .. thats what happens what you see in the picture.

It would be nice if clicking the TYPE col does the same as done by the menu. :)

JRz wrote:
ZAKhan wrote:What I meant was actually which I didnot mention in my earlier msg (sorry for that), when I have TYPE as sort order the folders should apprear on the top and then files and both respectively sorted by type and then name, that would be a GREAT help.
Well, if you are using X2.57 (as I am) you should just get this behaviour you describe. I forgot to mention (yes, me too :oops: ) that in the menu View|Arrange by > the item Unsorted must not be checked (so no tick mark left of it)
If you sort by TYPE, folders should appear on top and they do obey the sorting rules you specify (folders sorted by extension first and then by name). Please let me know what version you have a if the setting I mentioned (unsorted) isn't the problem.
ZAKhan wrote:Which means that Folders should remain on the top no matter what order is selected unless its desending order in which case the Folders will be at the bottom and in reverse order. The sort is then applied to the folder and then to the files ...
Yes, folders are always at the top. And then I do mean always, because even when you sort in descending order, they stay on top but are sorted descending too. This is by design, because the M$ way to put folders at the bottom is counter intuitive. Again, the sorting is done on folders and files the way you specify, but folders are glued to the top of the pane. That's the only difference.

So what is happening in your case? You obviously see something different happening? Can you give some more info (example perhaps)?
ZAKhan

Post by ZAKhan »

Don’t have to be mad I was NOT critising, merely asking, please don’t jump to conclusions. Fortunately I realized it before I got to see your post, phew!
vserghi wrote:There is no need to be like that. It is a simple typo and its easier to say .57 instead of 0.0.057.

I suggest you look at you own message before critising others. :mad:
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Apologies also. :thumbup:
Vas
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I have seen the same problem as you. You need to select the the "Type" column from the column list.

Currently there are two Type columns one is "Type [S]" and the other is just "Type". If you select the "Type" column, you can get the folders to stay at the top and files to be ordered by type threafter.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, and why they work differently. Anyone know?
Vas
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

My dear friends :P (Yes, I'm very lazy with regard to typing the full version info on Xplorer2, sorry ZAKhan ;) )

Another mystery solved. Thanks to the picture (thanks ZAKhan) and vserghi's remark about the type columns.

I do know what the difference is. The Type[S] column is a stock column which is X2's own version of the Type column from M$ Explorer.

However, vserghi, I don't see different behaviour from the two columns at all!! The items just get sorted ascending or descending based on the contents of that column!! This also involves folders! So Nikos only implemented the stay on top for folder for sorting on Name and Extension!

The funny thing is when you select sort by type from the View|Arrange by > menu, the columns which serves as sort key is indeed the extension column and not the Type column!! (watch the arrow in the column header if you do this; first make the column visible ZAKhan, I see from the picture you don't use it!)
[edit] by the way, this is a more reliable way to sort by 'type' anyway, because of the funny way it looks when the extensions are not in alfabetical order because the extensions are often not directly linked to the full type name, e.g. Application type file has extension of .exe !! [end edit]

So that's why we all got confused I guess. I thought that was what ZAKhan was doing all along, so I didn't get the same results as he/she did.

So ZAKhan has a valid point. Sorting on any column other than Name or Extension mixes the folder between the files if the contents of the sort column is telling it to.

Nikos, when you have returned in one piece from your winter adventures, can you put this on the to do list for release 2.0? Or is there a urging reason not to implement a (configurable) option to get folder on top all the time, regardless of sorting column?
[edit] I think in most cases it is sufficient to have the behaviour when sorting by name or extension. But if you can make it an option for every column, everyone can choose their own preferred setting :) [end edit]
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

Speaking of folder sorting, have any of you noticed how x2 sorts folders with a . in the name? They get moved the bottom in ascending sort because of the dot. It's treated as an extension I think.

Any thoughts on that?
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Several issues came up in this thread!

But the initial point raised was "keep folders together (and at the top of the pane) while sorting by anything, in any order".

If you sort on any dates also, all folders are dispersed in the list. And I like it that way (I get an accurate visual feedback about when these folders were modified, vis-a-vis other files).

So I guess there should be a program setting to have it either way.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

narayan wrote:So I guess there should be a program setting to have it either way.
Yep, gives us maximum flexibility that way!! :P