Bug? Holding Drive Letters

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Running 0.0.57 Win XP

I insert a USB flash drive into USB port. Displays as expected in Xplorer2 as next available drive letter, i.e. "F", no problem here.

However, when I remove the disk, then reinsert it, Xplorer2 still displays the "F" drive, with the inserted flash drive now appearing as "G", despite being inserted into the same port.

This creates problems when attempting to backup, as my external HDD is set up as the "F" drive, so when attempting this if I have used the USB port previously, it will display as "G" and will not therefore automatically back up.

Is this a known bug?
Gildawie

Re Bug? Holding Drive Letters

Post by Gildawie »

I'm running 0.0.59 (at least that's what it reports) with XP Pro SP1 + all available updates.

I use several different USB drives a lot, including a 120Gb HDD - mounting and dismounting several times in the same session - and have not seen the behaviour you are seeing.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Where can I get a hold of 0.0.59?
I downloaded the latest version yesterday and it displays 0.0.57
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

OK, found 0.0.59 at the "alternative server"
However, problem still persists.
After removing ext HDD a second time, tree displays both Local Disk "F" and Local Disk "G", even though nothing is connected! The only way to remove them is to reboot.
Any ideas, anyone?
As I mentioned earlier, this creates problems for me when attempting to automatically backup.
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Have you tried refreshing the panes (ctrl+R)? If you have to reboot the PC to get the new drive information, then I would have thougth it is an operating system problem, not x2's fault.

At a guess, I think x2 gets its information from Windows, so if Windows is still registering the extra drive then x2 will do the same.
Vas
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Yep, tried refreshing, but no joy, still the same.
The "extra" drives only appear in X2, not in Windows Explorer.
Gildawie

Post by Gildawie »

This may be a stupid question, but are you removing the drives correctly?
i.e. using the icon in the system tray and getting a confirmation that it is OK to remove?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Yes, already doing that as well, removing usb via icon in system tray.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

There have been occasional reports of some USB flash memory devices not rigorously following Windows standards -- and that the result has been that does not detect device removal correctly.

In those cases, collapsing, then re-expanding the tree seems to force to "see" the correct configuration. You might try that. ... or refreshing with the tree pane being the active focus.

When you select My Computer in the tree pane, does the active file pane show the correct number of "drives" and correct drive mapping?

(Out of curiosity, what type of USB stick and external HDD are you using?)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

"When you select My Computer in the tree pane, does the active file pane show the correct number of "drives" and correct drive mapping?"

Yes, apart from the "extra" removeable drives mentioned earlier.

The Flash Disk is WaWa MiniDrive Platinum, 64MB
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ apart from - so was that a yes or a no ? :confused:
Please clarify.

... and what happened when you tried the collapse, then reexpand My Computer sequence in the tree pane?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

When I collapse and expand the My Computer it makes no difference. My regular drives are still there, i.e. Hard Drive, DVD & CDRW, however there appears these Removeable drives "F" & "G" despite nothing being plugged into the USB port.
For some reason 2X still retains them even after being disconnected, the only way to clear them is to reboot.

Hope this clarifies.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I thought from your earlier response that at least the active file pane dsiplayed the correct drive count & mapping.

(ignoring what I read as a typo in your last post - I take it you are using xplorer², not 2xExplorer)
What I understand now is ...

1. the tree pane still reports the removable drives as being present in the tree pane after they have been removed, and after all kinds of refreshing (collapse & reexpand tree, keyboard Ctrl+R, & menu View|refresh).

2. when My Computer is selected in the tree pane, the active file pane also shows the additional drives even though they have been removed.

3. regular windows explorer tracks the drive removal activity correctly

4. and I am assuming that you have not made any tweaks to the x2 registry

If all of the above is true, this is a mystery case that nikos may want to address when he gets back from Easter break.

Sorry I couldn't "solve" it for you.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Gordon,

Yesterday when my mind was wandering, I recalled that a year or so ago I had had a problem with my USB interface, and thought of your case. Some devices were intermittant connecting/dsiconnecting and would only reconnect following a reboot, and then not always -- UNTIL I installed the M$ XP update/patch 814995. Since then, everything has been fine.
It's a long shot, but (if you aren't up-to-date with all your XP updates) you may want to install that one to see if it helps your situation.

-fg-
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Thanks for the tip. Installed it, but didn't make any difference.
Never mind, worth the try.