find files

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

singuin

find files

Post by singuin »

hey there,

maybe i'm missing something, but im having problems using "find files" to search in x^2. i was wondering what exactly im supposed to see, as currently when i click on it nothing happens at all.

do others have this problem??

thanks, tt.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

You should see a new pane/dialog box for entering your search criteria.
The type of pane you get depends on the x² version and your operating system.
singuin

Post by singuin »

ah, i've found the problem.

i was expecting a custom search pane like we had in 2xExp as opposed to the OS default.

I'm running WinXP with x^2 version 0.0.0.57 or 0.0.0.59 (depending on whever you believe the website and alpha.txt or the apps about).

The problem is that i'm using the LiteStep shell NOT explorer, when i switch back to explorer - bingo! - up pops the search window, but nada with LiteStep, and (i assume) the same would be true with other alternate shells.

I have no idea whether this can be (easily or otherwise) fixed, but if anyone has any suggestions it would be great to see this working in a future version as this is truely a sweet little app that i would love to keep using, but obviously no file manager is complete without a search function and i dont see myself switching back to explorer in the near future.

thanks again,
tt.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I expect that an excellent search engine will be in the licenced version of the shareware xplorer² when it is released. [you can sample an early version of it if you kept an older x² alpha version (first .57, or earlier)] :)
see: http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1375

But it may be another month or so before nikos is satisfied that all features are working adequately (i.e. perfectly). :wink:

PS - I see you are running windoze eXPletive. I agree that its search function stinks :yuck:
(It's poor performance is what drove me to find 2X and x² :D )
singuin

Post by singuin »

ah well,

i guess i shall just have to wait then and hope that the s/w version (when released) is within my price range :). i look forward to seeing it.

in the mean time its back to 2Ex for me and general preaching about x^2 to my friends - ive already got a couple of converts!
Larry De Coste

Glad to hear find files is just "resting"

Post by Larry De Coste »

I came to xplorer2 after using 2xExplorer for a couple of years.

I was diisappointed when I hit F3 & got some registry error. But since I put Editor2 as the editor under options, I just use F4 instead.

However when I hit ^F and got Win 2000 Pro's find files I thought that Nikos had sold out to the Evil Empire.

Glad to hear it will appear in the Shareware version. Heck, I was so impressed w/ 2xExplorer that I sent him a small donation the first day I used it.

Though xplorer2 0.57 is really fast & looking quite poliished, like SINQUIN, I'll probably be back to 2xExplorer for daily use since I use Find files all the time... and often get the "why don't I just kill myself response" there!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you may even like turning bLameMessages on from
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\2xExplorer\Right Pane Settings
:)
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

nikos, can the Ctrl+F command be linked to an alternate Find program? Using an alternate shell disables easy access to Windows' Find.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

not easily
which find do you have in mind?
TKC

Find PDF files

Post by TKC »

Hello, nikos,
It will be wonderful to have a search function which can find the files (PDF,DOC, ZIP and XLS) with the text strings.

Thanks.

TKC
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is already available (for the pro version)
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

nikos wrote:not easily
which find do you have in mind?
Agent Ransack - http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx or a File Finder from Mijenix (not sure of a link for it, might be from PowerDesk).

I'm not expecting much integration as I don't know how feasible it is to feed the current directory info to various search programs, but it'd be nice to have Ctrl+F do something when Windows Find isn't easily accessible.

Well, come to think of it, I guess I could manage with assigning a key combo to one of those programs. Just got to break the habit of pressing Ctrl+F for a while.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as you'll see when the pro beta is out, it is possible to invoke any external program and pass it the current context. This is the customizable user menu and you can assign keyboard shortcuts to it

so you could have ctrl+1 launch a command like:

> ransak $p

to search starting from the current folder ($p)
any external program worth its lolly should take command line arguments, perhaps with a switch

PS I just realized i'm talking nonsense since the problem is the free version where you can't have these fancy user commands. So I'll add some registry tweak for the command to launch for such external finders