USB2.0 External Drive causes xplorer2 to hang

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

BetaUser

USB2.0 External Drive causes xplorer2 to hang

Post by BetaUser »

I am using xplorer2 v0.0.0.57

Has anybody else experienced this behavior where xplorer2 hangs when an external hard disk is plugged in while xplorer2 is running ? If I plug iin the drive, then start xplorer2, it works fine.

Even when explorer2 is hung, I can open Windows explorer and access the drive with no problem.

I've tried keeping both xplorer2 and Windows explorer open at the same time, and then plugging in the external drive. Windows explorer recognizes the drive and continues to work fine, but xplorer2 just hangs. All I get is a beep when I click on it. I need to use the Task Manager to kill the process.

I tried using the DBMON process once,, and while that was running, it seemed to work OK.

I also thought I noticed a difference in behavior when xplorer2 is minimized. Maybe I was imagining it, but I thought it hung more often if I plugged in an external drive while it was minimized.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong ?

I am going to experiment with a few USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 flash drives as well and see if they all have this problem.

Thank you.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i didn't have any problems with USB sticks. What are these "hard disks" you are talking about?
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

There are adapters that allow you to connect HDDs on USB port, as I have done.

USB1 works fine. I don't know about USB2- I don't have it.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I didn't notice any problem hot-plugging/unplugging my new USB2 external HDD last week -- but I wasn't looking for problems either, and it was with dbMon ON (my default).
... unlike where:
BetaUser wrote:I tried using the DBMON process once,, and while that was running, it seemed to work OK.
(If dbMon ON vs OFF mitigates the problem, I wonder if there is a timing issue.)

I will try to check out various combinations tonight on XP (& maybe on w98).
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I can't reproduce the problem.
XP-pro sp1, x2 (v.57 & others)

BetaUser, can you provide any more details?
(like OS & version, hardware configuration, etc)
BetaUser

Post by BetaUser »

Sorry I've been offline for a while. Things have been busy.

I have WinXP Media Center Edition. Most of the time Ihave been using it with SP1. I have recently updated it with Sp2 Beta.

Hardware is a P4 2.8 with 1gig RAM, 120GB internal disk. The USB 2.0 drive I use is mainly a 120GB, but occasionally I swap in an 80GB drive instead. I haven't been using the USB2 flash memory drives much, but occasionally they appear to have problems too.

Yesterday when I clicked on the system tray icon and stopped the USB2 external drive, xplorer2 just disappeared !

I am not sure what I can do to get you a reproducible case. I will try to keep dbmon running and if the problem occurs I can send you the log. Do you have a newer build that I could test with ?

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there is going to be a beta release soon, but it is unlikely that it is going to make any difference in your case