Setup question...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Mercurybird

Setup question...

Post by Mercurybird »

Okay I have the Xplorer2 alpha setup. When I would like to do is have it default upon opening to the root drive (C:) with expanded directoty listing in the left frame. And just the files in the right pane.

I set it up this way with alt-j,s help. Nice, just the way I want it. But no matter how I save, or tell it to save on exit, it still comes up default on re-opening. Has the save feature not been implemented fully yet?

Thanks! :)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Welcome, Mercurybird, to the evolving world of xplorer² :!:

After you get the view set up the way you want, go to
tools | program options and on the "General" tab,
uncheck "save program state on exit"

then go to actions | save settings now

x² should now restart at the same folders & layout {except you may need to re-expand the tree & re-invoke the hide folders filter [alt+j] }

As things stand (until first post-beta release, coming soon, nikos says) not all program features are persistent.

But at least some of what it seems you want is there, & the rest is only a click or 2 away. :)

I hope this helps, and that you take time to explore the powerful features of xplorer² :D

Please read the alpha information file & browse the forum for ideas, tips, etc. ... and do not hesitate to ask questions when you cannot find the information you need on your own.
Mercurybird

Oh okay...

Post by Mercurybird »

Okay I did all that, and all is as you said. So good show! Thanks for the heads-up on the forthcoming post-beta release. I'm looking forward to it.

I just went to DSL recently. So I installed a program to password protect Internet Explorer. But it was also mistakenly asking for a password for Windows Explorer. With no way to make it quit doing that. So that's why I went looking for a Windows Explorer replacement. That's how I got here to Xplorer2.

I'm glad I did. :D

Thanks!
Bez

Post by Bez »

I've got a setup question too, does any one know the registry settings that need to be changed to make xplorer² open folders, instead of windows explorer?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I just d-click
... & forget about the Explore entry on the r-click menu.
(but I, too, would like x² to hijack that selection :twisted: )
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's FAQ #15
it's a bad idea to do this for all folders
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Thanks, nikos, I can't believe I missed that :oops:

In case you missed where the F.A.Q.s are filed, Bez, they are here on the website and on the 2X help menu. :)
Bez

Post by Bez »

Thanks.

Just out of curiousity, why is it a bad idea?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you won't be able to click-open control panel etc
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

... and you can't even properly open control panel from start menu if you set 2x/x2 as the default after adding it to the r-click folder menu per FAQ15 suggestion (but you can browse it) :roll:
Bez

Post by Bez »

I don't think that would be a problem for me, as I use my own custom shell, the only way to get to the control panel is to browse there in x², or to access the applets directly from a popup menu :)
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

As an aside, I'd like to mention that I prefer viewing the Control Panel through x2, especially after resizing the window, leaving it centered (by eye), in large icon view mode, and saved as a layout. I despise how cpanel.exe can't remember its last size and position.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

mimeryme wrote:[...] I despise how cpanel.exe can't remember its last size and position.
But it can!! If I'm not mistaken you have to turn on the option to save the layout of each individual folder (somewhere in 'folder options' in Control Panel itself). Sadly that effects all other folders too :(. So it's probably not what you want (maybe that is what you are referring to?)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

JRz, are you referring to 'Remember each folder's view settings?' When I did use explorer regularly, I did like to have the option disabled and still do. However, I don't recall that it ever remembered the window position and size of the Control Panel's window.

Well, I guess I can try it out for a few weeks.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

mimeryme wrote:[...] 'Remember each folder's view settings?'[...]
Yes, that's the one I meant.
mimeryme wrote:When I did use explorer regularly, I did like to have the option disabled and still do. However, I don't recall that it ever remembered the window position and size of the Control Panel's window.
I also don't like folders remembering settings on a per folder basis. Like to have them display the same layout (for most of them). Sadly, you have no option than to turn it on or off, no in between possible (it is in though; through saving layouts in combination with individual folder settings such as for Control panel for instance!!)

With respect to Control panel remembering it's size and view layout when the option is turned on: I'm not sure either :)
mimeryme wrote:Well, I guess I can try it out for a few weeks.
That's a good way to find out. Let me know how it turns out (we learn every day :) )
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn: