Free Space

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

konradhee

Free Space

Post by konradhee »

Hi, (I am new to xplorer2 forum and) just searched the messages for reasons why the free space is no longer a default display at the bottom like in 2x. Can't seem to find an answer, and wondered why? I find it a most useful bit of information! ;-)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

As I undersand it, the message bar has evolved to so many other real time monitoring & reporting uses, that nikos thought it best to only display the free space on demand: [Ctrl+Alt+spacebar] :)
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

IIRC, having x² only display the free space on demand is also an efficiency concern...
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

but the question could be ... whose efficiency ?

i.e.: ignoring that it requires resources to continually update free disk space, some subcontinent type might argue that, as opposed to a threefinger keycombo, :wink: it is more efficient to just see the free space displayed alongside the idle "Ready" message, viz:
Free space on C:\[1.23TB] - Ready:
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Yes, I remember that argument. Although I don't remember the specifics, I do recall that the present strategy of a non-persistent-free-space-display prevailed... obviously... :wink:
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

but the question could be ... whose efficiency ?
Absolutely!!

I always held the view that when it comes to x2's efficiency versus user's efficiency (read less keystrokes/eye movements), I prefer the latter. Let x2 slog it out!

There are many issues where Nikos had trimmed x2 in the name of "purity of code" and "efficiency"; but left the user to work out his own work-around.

In my view, the more sophisticated x2 gets, the more end-to-end solutions it has to offer (bundled neatly in different GUIs or clusters of menu options). The recent reorganization of "visual filters" is a simple example.

(BUT, at the same time, I am not averse to "building-block" type commands which can be combined to achieve an infinite number of end-purposes!)

BTW for this specific issue, we had agreed that x2 would have a special optionally selectable small panel which will display the free space for both panes (since x2 is a dual pane manager).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

very sleek corporate style reply narayan! :)

there are 2 reasons why the free space got the boot: a. statusbar real estate; b. resource use for continuously polling the disk for its space -- how often do you really need to check it anyway?

in v2 there are going to be user-selectable statusbar panes for this and other information (e.g. arbitrary column info on the statusbar)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Both reasons should be re-examined:

1. The real-estate can be managed with the introduction of a small (two-line high?) window panel that can be put between the tree pane and the quickviewer. Just like QV and Tree panes, this also can be made "hideable". People who are interested can keep it turned on permanently.

2. The use of this function is not so rare.

Actually I need to check the free size every now and then, and all my drives have nearly saturated. partitions (both at work and at home).

And the reason is not far to seek: I have a lot of mateial on the disks (neatly arranged in a taxonomically arranged heirarchy).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i've got a 75GB disc out of which 66 are free
damn western european affluence :)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

No actually I use a lot of ebooks and articles for reading. Printed books are out of sync almost as soon they are available in Special low-price editions here!

But I will definitely take off most of this material the day you implement OCB! ;)

DO design that additional pane for free space!