Media preview

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

plas

Media preview

Post by plas »

Most media types are previewed with WMP, but others are shown just as HEX. Are there any registry hacks to select media files extensions ? I would like to preview ogg, ogm, ape, mpc, ...
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

As far as I know only WMP is supported (and thus all types supported by WMP). I'm not sure but I do not know of any way to use preview with other (third party) media players and such...

Also don't know if this is going to be supported. Maybe Nikos can shed some ligt on that himself.
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i have never heard any of these extensions
does the standalone WMP play them?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

A very inclusive list of file extensions to associated application appears on Webopedia.

http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/fileextensionsa.asp

The types requested above by plas are listed as:

.ape - Music format (different players)
.mpc - Calender file (MS Project)
.ogg - Ogg Vorbis Codec Compressed WAV file
.ogm - Ogg Vorbis Compressed Video file

(not that this helps, just FYI) :?
plas

Post by plas »

OGG Vorbis is the best audio codec. (Quality is much better than mp3 or wma)
APE is Monkey's lossless audio (bitrate is around 800 kbps)

WMP plays these files if you have DirectShow filters installed.
They can be downloaded from http://www.rarewares.org or http://www.hydrogenaudio.org.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

plas wrote:[...]WMP plays these files if you have DirectShow filters installed. [...]
But do you have these filters installed? If so, then the preview should be able to play these files too, I guess, because uses WMP to play sound files.

Or maybe uses an API from WMP which doesn't support these filters??? Nikos??
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

x2 uses a quick & dirty scheme of "known extensions" trying to decide what to feed to WMP. Obviously these ogg extensions are out!
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

nikos wrote:x2 uses a quick & dirty scheme of "known extensions" trying to decide what to feed to WMP. Obviously these ogg extensions are out!
figures... ;)
Jaykul

Post by Jaykul »

quick and dirty meaning the list is hard coded in x2?
Can it be added to options (or just in registry) for us to add to, so we can get our .ogg files (or .ape for that matter)?

Seriously, the wonderful thing about media players is the fact that the codec's are seperate, so we can keep adding codecs to the WiMPy player until it can play all our music, videos and even photos :wink:
--
::Jaykul
GSA

Post by GSA »

Sure, the support of extensions playables in X² and not only "agreed" by Microsoft would be a great thing for this great tool...

We must pray together for the coming of this nice feature !  :P
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you want to add more extensions (and you are sure that wmp can play them) just use szAudioExtList etc mentioned in registry.txt. E.g. to add 2 new extensions set it to

Code: Select all

*.foo,*.bar
note this uses the same multistring format that regular filters support in the addressbar
GSA

Post by GSA »

Thx Nikos.

The registry tip works very well. For a better prewiew agreement i have installed these 2 tools :

- oggcodecs 0.69.8924.exe, because with my codecs from Kazaa Mega Codec it doesn't work. And now, i click one time on a .ogg file and the X² WMP plays the song... Great !
- RadLightMPC 1.0.0.4, for MPC, because same thing... And now... I click one time on a .mpc file, but i must click on "play", in the X² WMP to play the song... If u know a tip to play instantly tell me...

I think it's a question of filetype well integration in WMP... Radlight MPC makes a less good job for that...

I use J River Media Center 11 and BS Player, but i really enjoy this nice function to make listen a song to a friend or do quick comparaisons beetween 2 DivX... :) Good Job !

Other Question : it is possible to put on "album wiew" or nothing the visualization of X² WMP to reduce ressource needed...

And i am agree with the guy who's saying than Media Player Classic is better... I don't know if it's possible to integrate it in X², or why not in the installation package... But it's the better prewiever i ever seen ! :D
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all in all, you can't beat the convenience of the WMP that comes with windows (especially from the programmer's point of view :))