increment variable for batch

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

increment variable for batch

Post by mimeryme »

What is the variable for this? I thought it would be $nn as stated in the token help, but I also noticed the message that "All lowercase versions... use compact 8.3 file/path names."

I'm using the latest beta.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

There are two types of "tokens" mentioned in the xplorer² Quick Start Guide help file. ( Help | Contents... )

One is for entering a specific byte (requires 2 hex characters) in the form $xx where xx is the 2-character hex value for the byte. (used mostly to specify a non-printing byte in a search patterns.

The other token used is a variable in command syntax for things like filename $N (or $n for filename in 8.3 format)
The variable COUNTER is describes as $nn where nn is the starting number (base 10) to insert in the command string. (e.g.: $3 starts counting "3", "4", etc, while $0042 starts with "0042", "0043", etc. ) :o

I admit that the "$-token help" table is confusing to use $nn for the counter starting number, I would have preferred $#, $##, etc.

A careful read of that "bitesize guide" of a help file (all 26 pages of it) should clarify things (but there's a LOT of information in there & it may require re-reading a couple of times to appreciate some of the details -- experimenting doesn't hurt either)

-Enjoy ! :)
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

Ooh, thanks for reminding me about the Help|Contents fgagnon and also for reminding me how to actually use that darn $nn variable. D'oh! It slipped my mind that I need numbers there instead of the nn.