Preview pane for dwg files

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rulle

Preview pane for dwg files

Post by rulle »

I have a custom dll installed on my system which allows an Autocad dwg (vector drawing) file to be displayed as a thumbnail when the x2 pane is in "Thumbnail" mode. This however seems to not be sufficient for the preview pane. It does attempt to display the preview, but it comes out a blank white field instead of an image of the drawing (if it was totally unsupported it would just display gibberish text I believe). So I think there is some kind of image format/color space used in this thumbnail image which is not supported by x2.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i could have said that this is file size related but then it wouldn't have shown in thumbnails either

could it be preview size related? try adjusting the thumbnail size from tools | options to something like 500x500 or whatever your quickviewer size is
rulle

Post by rulle »

It didn't make any difference for the preview. However I noticed when increasing the thumbnail size the previews are rather low res anyway (180px), so the need for the preview pane may be limited. I'll just toggle the thumbnail view instead.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it could also be that this dll doesn't like it when both the view and the previewer ask for thumbnails, each different size. What happens if you have your view to e.g. list and use only the previewer panel? That should work -- try getting out and back in the folder
rulle

Post by rulle »

No, doesn't help. Something must be different the way the images in the preview pane and thumbs are displayed. Maybe the preview pane only supports images with RGB color? The dwg files themselves only have 256 colors, so I suppose the thumbnail module could be creating images with a limited number of colors also (indexed colors as opposed to RGB)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

indeed there are some differences in the way paint occurs, but if anything, the previewer does it in a more orthodox manner! you have got to love windows, no? :)