Special folders

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Special folders

Post by Gandolf »

I'm playing around with the recycle bin again!!

Although it lists the contents with their correct file names (as opposed to the DOS names of the files in the actual Recycled directory) attempting to use a select filter says there are no files matching the filter.

Does this mean if I want to select files in the recycle bin I can only do it manually since the filter would require the names of the files as they are actually in the Recycled directory.

I've just answered that question by entering a filter of dc36*.* and sure enough it selects some of the files in the folder.

Is there any way I can use the filter to select file names in the recycle bin or am I expecting too much??

Having used the alpha version since 0.0.0.7, but always as a secondary file manager, now that the beta has been released I'm using it "in anger" and finding that it has more and more hidden features. I've always liked the scrap frame idea and that is getting a lot of use now. The only thing I miss is the floating ThumbBar that 2X had, which I preferred to the fixed Preview pane of x2.

Thanks Nikos for an excellent piece of software,

Dave.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

unfortunately x2 uses the real name for filtering and the recycle bin shows the original names which aren't those actually stored on disk

the workaround is to use alt+G to select items using the Name column (additional rules)... but i've just discovered it is not listed!

ok, now it is, it should be in the next release. Still as in all text rules, you wouldn't be able to use wildcards, but parts of the name you'd after would be ok. E.g. "*.cpp" would be out but ".cpp" would be the same -- nearly!

what we really need here is a checkbox to tell x2 to use display names for matching filters. Thankfully the recycle bin is the only folder that behaves like that

btw you can see the real names in the bin if you go to c:\recycled and use View | Raw contents
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Knowing how the recycle bin stores it's filenames on the disk I hadn't tried the "matching a rule" command assuming if the simple filter didn't work then the more advanced filter would have the same problem.

The matching a rule works simply by typing the name (with wildcards) in the Named box - no need to use the additional rules even.

What I cannot get to work though is the Raw contents - it simply gives me an error message "This command is only applicable to filesystem items". Must be something I'm not doing or is it a problem with XP??

Dave.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there is some sort of a mixup there with alt+G (it shouldn't work!) although it seems a fortuitous accident in this case :)

raw contents cannot be used in the recycle bin as you view it from the desktop, but if you go to c:\recycled then you'll see what's really going on inside!
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Alt+G does and does not work I've now discovered. Typing *.ext finds all files with that extension, which is what I wanted to do, and it worked. Trying other wildcard combinations (123*.jpg for example) has a strange effect and I suspect it's getting some sort of combination of the Windows file name and the name stored on disk - very confusing!!!

Show hidden files and folders is on but the Recycle bin is not visible in the root directory (C:\), entering C:\Recycled on the address bar opens it O.K. I would have expected the recycle bin to have been viable if show hidden was on. Anyway, I now can see what I expected to find in the recycle bin so I'm happy!!

I think I'll keep clear of the special folders for a while since I appear to be opening a "can of worms"

Dave.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

assuming you have x2's option for hidden files checked, perhaps you have the "super hidden files" option checked; see your Folder Options from control panel. I can see c:\recycler allrright

btw, other than satisfying one's curiosity there's no much point poking around in those virtual folders :)
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Thanks Nikos, found it - "Hide protected operating system files" was the option I hadn't checked in control panel.

If I was a cat I'd have lost my nine lived many times over! I've been poking around in computer hardware and software for 25+ years now and I expect I'll continue to do so.

Dave.