Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scrap containers: on top or not on top?

Post by Robert2 »

Greetings--
When we use the Tools | Find Files command to search for a text string, we get the results in a scrap window that has top focus. This seems the right way to display a window that has just been created.
Now if we search for text using Mark | Containing text, or if we select a number of files and click To scrap, we get the results in a scrap window that is automatically sent into the background and must be retrieved from the Windows Taskbar.
Would there be a way to have the newly-created scrap containers always display "on top"? I looked everywhere for a tip but could not find any. Did I miss it?
Thank you very much in advance.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

The Mark|Containing text is nothing but a mass-selection technique.
You can select multiple items for this experiment any other way (e.g. with a mouse).

In other words, your selection method hgas no bearing on whether the scrap pane will pop to the top automatically...

Anyhow, if you press CTRL+S to send these items to a scrap pane, the scrap container will automatically come to the top.

This works well for me. Can you give some more details?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the idea behind ctrl+S is that you may want to add more than one "batch" of items to a scrap, that's why it leaves it behind the main window so you can continue gathering items and ctrl+S'ing them

when you are done, usually an Alt+Tab will take you to the scrap window, or use Ctrl+W
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Nikos,

In my NT4 machine, the very first CTRL+S brings the scrap pane to the top.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

On my WinXP Pro it's opened in the background :)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is planned to stay in the back
for NT4 there is a malfunction
does it come up every time you press ctrl+S? (existing scrap)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

No-only for the first time, when the scrap container is launched. To do more CTRL+S'ing, I have to switch back to the main x2.

After that, SC catches all additional items (subsequent CTRL+S commands, etc.) while remaining in the background. It does not pop up. We have to use CTRL+W (or ALT+TAB) to bring it up.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scrap containers: on top or not on top? (2)

Post by Robert2 »

nikos wrote:the idea behind ctrl+S is that you may want to add more than one "batch" of items to a scrap, that's why it leaves it behind the main window so you can continue gathering items and ctrl+S'ing them

when you are done, usually an Alt+Tab will take you to the scrap window, or use Ctrl+W
Greetings--
I suppose we all have different habits and expectations.
Maybe there could be an additional control key, something like Shift+Ctrl+S that would still create scrap containers but send them to the top?
Or a special toolbar button with same action?
By the way, I wish I could place individual buttons on the toolbar to access logical drives with one click (just like it is possible with the bookmarks).
Would this be on the wish list by any chance?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you create a scrap with any other mechanism except ctrl+S it ends up in the foreground

the drivebar is in the list but without any priority. There are so many ways to change folders effectively that makes this a secondary issue
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

As I said earlier, even with CTRL+S, the scrap pane pops up (window at top).

This happens for both NT4 and XP.