Can the Sync Wizard compare HTML files content?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can the Sync Wizard compare HTML files content?

Post by Robert2 »

Greetings--
I wanted to compare two different folders containing HTML files.
Most of the files were identical from one folder to the other.
I used the Sync Wizard to compare these 2 folders based on file content.
xplorer² Pro reported no identical files.
I then used the Sync Wizard to compare these same 2 folders based on modification dates.
xplorer² Pro reported most files as being identical.
To be sure, I used a trusty file comparison utility and compared the files from these 2 folders.
Most had identical contents and same date and same size.
Is the Sync Wizard meant to compare only pure text files based on content?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

no, it's not limited to file type at all.
Please read the section "Detecting duplicate files" in the Quick Start Guide for more information. :)
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Finding duplicate files based on content

Post by Robert2 »

fgagnon wrote:no, it's not limited to file type at all.
Please read the section "Detecting duplicate files" in the Quick Start Guide for more information. :)
Greetings--
1) As dumb as I might have sounded, I had still read all the available documentation (including the "xplorer² Quick Start Guide") before posting this.
2) Your answer did not address the question I asked, i.e. why the Sync Wizard did not report identical files when the search was based on content and the contents were identical? And when my trusty file comparison utility reported most files as identical?
3) I just conducted a little test:
a) I copied a number of HTML files from one folder to another empty folder.
b) I then used the "Actions | Change Attributes..." command to change all the file dates in the target folder so the files from both folders would be identical, except for their date stamp.
c) I sent the files from both the above folders to a scrap container.
d) I clicked "Tools | Check duplicates..." in the scrap container.
e) I selected "Content" and "Select all duplicates" in the "Duplicates detection" dialog. I cleared all the other options.
f) xplorer² could not find any duplicate files in the scrap container!
As the files from both folders were identical except for the date stamp, I am not sure that I can rely on xplorer² to find duplicate files based on content.
Or is there some trick that I missed?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

The file comparisons had always worked for me in the past, as far as I had noticed - but I had not run any acid test cases lately -- & from your post it sounded like you may not have read the available mat'l -- sorry for that assumption. :oops:

So I rechecked for myself and I get similar results as what you report:
duplicate files are not marked as such, based on file content.
As a check, I put the file checksums in view, and they match for all files in the intentionally-same-content folders. x2 ver[1.0.0.0]

But then I checked on a pre-release v[1.0.0.1] and I find all duplicate files are correctly identified. :D

So it does look like you found a bug,
and it also looks like nikos found it too,
and has a fix in place for next release, possibly this weekend.

Please check it thoroughly for yourself when the updated version is available -- and please post whether or not the problem(s) are resolved with the update.

Thanks,
-Fred-
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

indeed there was a little bug in dupechecker that couldn't check the contents of small files propery. This is now fixed and sometime next week v1001 will be distributed
why the Sync Wizard did not report identical files when the search was based on content and the contents were identical
this is another manifestation of the same bug, only affecting small files
there's no workaround but the patch will be out shortly!