File selection

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rulle

File selection

Post by rulle »

I'd prefer if I could make a crossing selection window (using mouse) from ANY column in x2. Currently, a crossing window can only be made starting from blank space in the "Name" column. This seems counterproductive to me. Situations where I have to use keyboard or resize columns to make a selection are common. Dragging a file is always possible anyway, so I don't see why crossing selections shouldn't be always possible as well.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you must be referring to "lasso selection"?
there is no workaround other than turning full row selection off from tools | options | window

btw, you can't drag items unless you click on the label (or some other column text)
rulle

Post by rulle »

Hey thanks. I never understood what that "Full row selection" was about (not that I did much investigation..). I turned it off and now selection works excactly as I prefer.

What good is that option anyway? Seems like mothing but a nuisance to me. Am I missing out on something?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

options-options-options!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

rulle wrote:Am I missing out on something

It depends on what you are trying to do & what habits you have developed for doing it. (i.e. user preference)

If you are selecting files based on other than name (modified date, for example), you will have detail view ON with extra columns. Then it is more convenient (faster with less errors) to click in the column of interest than to to click carefully on the name(s), making sure you are in the intended row each time.
& for me I seldom find files of interest to be adjacent, so ease of lassoing is no loss. + I prefer keyboard technique of shift+downarrow from first item to achieve the same selection result when files of interest happen to be adjacent. (again: user habit/preference) :D

[edit/add:] PS - did I mention that I use horizontal style dual pane tiling & arrange pane width so I (almost) always have a small slice of white space to the right of the last column? Useful as an easy-to-hit target for things like beginning a "lasso", or dropping a selection into the folder without it going un-intendedly into the subfolder or archive on the drop-line. :shock: [/edit]
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

fgagnon wrote:[...] so I (almost) always have a small slice of white space to the right of the last column? Useful as an easy-to-hit target for things like beginning a "lasso", or dropping a selection into the folder without it going un-intendedly into the subfolder or archive on the drop-line. :shock:
The title bar of a pane is also a drop target. Then you're sure you'll never miss :)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I've known that for quite a while -
... but old habits are hard to break ;)
rulle

Post by rulle »

rulle wrote:Seems like mothing but a nuisance to me
You may think that was a typo. Well here is your Guide to Mothing

fgagnon wrote:Then it is more convenient (faster with less errors) to click in the column of interest than to to click carefully on the name(s), making sure you are in the intended row each time.
That is something I'll easily trade for an always working lasso selection. There isn't much I can't do with Ctrl+Left mouse button when selecting files.