Active pane title bar colour

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jesperjensen

Active pane title bar colour

Post by jesperjensen »

Sorry if this has been discussed before.
I love Explorer2 and use it all the time, but I really miss the dark blue title bar showing the active pane - it is such a strong visual indicator.

Please bring it back, a registry entry will do just fine ;)

Jesper.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes.

Nikos, please reinstitute (à la 2x) active window titlebar colorscheme for active pane also in x2.
It really would help speed recognition of "which pane am I in now?".
Even though the active pane background now has a diffrent hue, IMO, more is better (and of course we would want it to be an optional user setting because some users, nikos included, consider such blatant coloration to be unnecessary and distracting). Thanks.
devic

Post by devic »

hi Niko, hi all!

i miss the dark blue title bar too :)

i think we need just 3 configurable colors:

1. background color
2. text color
3. mouseover color text color

because the new feature with mouseover effect and direct click is fine too ;)

if we get back our colors,
then the topic will be closed and never opened again ;)
devic

Post by devic »

Code: Select all

"Now coming with distinct color scheme selection for the read-only and normal editing modes."

BTWi took a look in registry and found how i can set right color for readonly mode, just as was in 2xplorer with old editor :)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\Editor2UC\rgbBackColorROM

Hexadecimal value data:c8d0d4
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so you mean to tell me that half the screen with a different color isn't enough so you need a small bar with yet another color to tell the panes apart? Aren't we missing the wood for the trees?
devic

Post by devic »

for people who used 2xplorer is not enough, every time i open xplorer2 i search my blue toolbar :)
it's habit, it's one of thousand reasons, why is my favorite file browser.
jesperjensen

Post by jesperjensen »

nikos wrote:so you mean to tell me that half the screen with a different color isn't enough so you need a small bar with yet another color to tell the panes apart? Aren't we missing the wood for the trees?
I see your point, but my problem is that the new inactive pane background confuses me. I have both panes set to white now, but before I did, my eyes followed the inactive pane. Setting the active pane to a different color than white, would actually help me, but possibly confuse others.

I am normally not this insistent, but identifying the active pane is probably the single most important thing in Explorer2, and having two different visual indicators can only be a good thing.

I have always found the dark blue title bar very helpful and I really hope you will consider bringing it back.

Thanks,
Jesper.
pmike

Post by pmike »

jesperjensen wrote:I have both panes set to white now, but before I did, my eyes followed the inactive pane. Setting the active pane to a different color than white, would actually help me, but possibly confuse others.
I have always found the dark blue title bar very helpful and I really hope you will consider bringing it back.
mega dittos
ZoNi011

Post by ZoNi011 »

jesperjensen wrote:I have both panes set to white now, but before I did, my eyes followed the inactive pane. Setting the active pane to a different color than white, would actually help me
same here! I also would like to set color for active pane...
loggedonnow

I agree

Post by loggedonnow »

I think most (including myself) are use to Windows where the active window's title bar is highlighted and possibly the window's border as well. Highlighting the inactive window now is opposite of the way windows works and also opposite the way most windows applications work.

I changed the inactive window's background to a darker shade as the default was too light to show on my monitor. I still follow the inactive window as a force of habit more than anything else.

I would set explorer2 to behave just as windows does it I could.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

but let us not forget the convention "light color"==editable, "dark"==read only that is also used in dialogs etc

that's the inspiration

but given the outrage any of these days now i'll cave in to pressure :)
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

I agree with Nikos, the inactive pane is the greyed-out pane and I don't have any difficulty knowing which pane I'm working on. If the title bar colour is not user configurable then I may not use x2 any more. I hate applications that look like a "multi coloured dream coat"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Yes, I'll weigh in on the "keep x2 simple" side of this, as well. The greyed-out inactive pane works fine for me as it is now; I don't need to see a colored title bar glowering over the active pane.

So, if this is implemented, please make it user-configurable; maybe then everyone can have the x2 they want.
derailer

Post by derailer »

clearly some people like it, and some people dont. thats what options are for :) ... it would be easy to switch between the two.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Folks,
You will be happy to see in version 1.0.0.3 that the active pane header color can now be set to match the color you have defined for the active window titlebar (in most cases it will be the default blue, but I use a bright green)
:party:

Also for those who want it (not me), the smart subpath navigation in pane header can likewise be disabled whithout hiding the pane header.

Thanks for being so responsive, nikos :D :D :D