[Bug?] Icons in thumbnail view...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Ampa

[Bug?] Icons in thumbnail view...

Post by Ampa »

I have noticed some odd behaviour when viewing icons in thumbnail view. The icons in my directory contain multiple sizes (from 16x16 to 128x128) but Xplorer2 shows some of the icons at their smallest size, and the others at their largest. I have attached an image to show better what I mean, along with one icon of each behaviour.

2ndly would it be possible to enable the alpha blending on icons and other images when they are shown in the thumbnail view (and preview pane)? The shadow on the icons should of course be a smooth fade.

Sys info... WinXP SP1 and Xplorer2 v1.0.0.3 Preview (though previous versions display the same behaviour)

Ampa

Home Icon
Help Icon
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

The behavior is the same in Explorer. As for the icon sizes, that's dependent on how the icon was built. The order matters when the icon is saved. Using iconSushi, I reversed the order of the icon sizes in one icon which shows the small one instead. Saved, the icon now displays the larger size in the thumbnail.
Ampa

Post by Ampa »

Eeeep! You are quite correct! Had never noticed that explorer exhibited the same behaviour. Rather shoddy if you ask me, be then why am I suprised by that?

Ampa
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

just curious, where do you use 128x128 icons?
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Best place I can think of is here... 8)
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Nothing like digging up a 6 year old thread :D, but this seemed the closest thing to my query.

The above "layer order" in .ico formats no longer seems to apply - windows happily either scales the icon itself, or extracts whichever the largest available one may be.

x2 seems to render file icons at no larger than 48x48 even if larger sizes are available within the associated .ico file (such as the aforementioned 128x128 or the as-of-Vista standard 256x256).

It has no trouble rendering the embedded 128x128 size thumbnail if you view the .ico itself, but only 48x48 under association.

Any reason for this, or just not running with the times?  (WE extracts the largest available on the fly, so one might expect x2 to follow suit, no?  Or is this a question of "no one will ever need more than 640K of RAM"? :wink:)

Just for completeness, I tried forcing the issue with an .ico containing no layers other than a 128x128 or 256x256 - x2 still insisted on rendering a (really really badly) scaled 48x48 whereas WE didn't blink.  (Don't know if the pathetic downscaling is x2's fault, but I just thought I'd mention it.)