Request for an enhancements

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

We need to be able to map menu commands to user defined key-stroke combinations.

10 - a critical missing feature.
33%
5 - an Important missing feature
33%
1 - who cares
33%

Total votes: 9

actuary77

Request for an enhancements

Post by actuary77 »

I would like to suggest the following features be implemented:

1.  Allow users to map the xplorer menu functions to user defined keystroke combinations. While xplorer provides incredible speed and much needed navigation features, usability would greatly increase by allowing users to map command to familiar 1-2-3 key stroke combos.   I think it is one of the key missing features.   All of the great and classic apps provide this feature because it:

a.  Reduces the learning curve associated with learning to do old and frequent tasks.  Users can easily replace old apps with this fantastic tool and never miss a heartbeat.  Same old keystrokes, plus a bunch a new ones and great set of enhanced features.  

b.  Allow users to customize environment and integrate their toolkit to provide a consistent interface.  For example, C-o opens a file in all of the other apps that I use.  What happens with C-o in xplorer?  You may not have any concern because the current key combos are consisten with your environment.  You are efficient.  In my environment, inconsistencies in critical key stroke combos will result in hours, days, months of lost work as a result of mistaken strikes of familiars keys and lost and destroyed files, directories, etc.  

c.  Reduce keystrokes.  After all, isn't this what it's all about????

2.  Move all progam options and settings to ini file in program directory.  Everybody wants to write to the registry and most of the time, this makes customization features and program settings unaccessible to users and uninstallation a nightmare.  

Security is always a major concern.  Any program that writes to the registry without cause is taking way too much freedom as far as we are concerned.  Any program that uses the windows registry raises serious security concerns.  I am of the school that no apps should have access to systems files and this includes the registry.  

What happens when a hacked version starts circulating and the only difference between the hack and the real thing is one of dozens of registry settings created during installation or use?  I'll tell ya, to da garbage can without a second thought.  The word gets out--- product dead.

Except for the suggested changes to the registry as mentioned in the documentation, there is no reason whatsoever for program settings to be stored in the registry.  It is only asking for probs.  

Programs should install and uninstall by simply deleting the install dir except in the case of file or folder application associations.  Only system critical settings which are performed by system critical applications should  ever write to the registry.  

3.  Proved a documented api that would enable xplorer to be integrated into other apps seemlessly and without the need for writing to the registry.

These are only suggestions and I only spend the time to write them because of the quality of the product you have produced.  I have watched for quite awhile now the development and growth of xplorer and while there are very many similar tools out there, your set of complete and organized tools and lightning speed sets it apart.  I have purchased only a handful of software products in my systems life of 25+ years and xplorer2 pro is one of them.
________
Box vaporizer
Last edited by actuary77 on 2011 Mar 14, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

x2 writes to just a little public "corner" of your registry, which isn't much more different than using a local file

full keyboard customization will eventually come in a future version
actuary77

Post by actuary77 »

I don't belive in "public" corners of the registry.  The registry is unfortunately extremely public and accessible.  

Writing to a "little" corner of the registry is kinda like a stranger giving my wife just a "little" kiss.
________
Michigan marijuana dispensaries
Last edited by actuary77 on 2011 Feb 18, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:)
a little friendly kiss on the cheeck perhaps, nothing controversial!

x2 doesn't touch any file associations or register any com objects. It doesn't touch any "hard" keys except HKLM for registration purposes. You've got more chances having a problem by Kenteris high on dope crashing his motorbike on your computer than x2 corrupting your registry
jb

Post by jb »

...but in some situations it could be helpful to store even the registration not in the registry: I really would like to use xplorer² professionell as a replacement for the default windows explorer in a business environment (to be more precise: on a Windows Terminal Server). As we - the employees - are not allowed to install new software there but are able to run programs that don't need to touch things you need admin rights for (like the registry) I'm currently not able to use xplorer² pro there - and using xplorer² lite isn't allowed due to its restriction for personnel use...

So how to workaround that issue? I can't convince my company to buy xplorer² for all employess and to install it centrally on WTS - but especially there I would need a good tool like xplorer² pro for my daily work... I enjoyed using 2explorer in former times there...

Any idea? Maybe an option for the user to store the reg-info in registry OR in a file during installation would be great...

Just my opinion on that...

Regards - Joerg
_/ _/ _/ JB _/ _/ _/
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the question is whether your company will allow you to run "non approved" programs on your work PC

if they don't then registry or otherwise won't help you
if they do then all it takes is somebody with admin rights using RunAs to start the installer. It won't take more than 1 minute!