Printing

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

brucec

Printing

Post by brucec »

On a few occasions I have wanted to print the directories of explorer2. There are the usual Windows way of doing things, including other software or Edit/Copy Colums, etc. Is there any thought to add a print button to the menu. One click is better than shift Print Scrn, open word paste, etc, etc.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there are no plans for that, sorry
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

? Why use PrintScreen?

There are other methods explained in the User manual.

Although all the methods will involve pasting in a file and then printing it.

"Other software" is not required if you use Ed2 which is bundled with x2.

Of course, I am assuming that you don't want to sort data, summarize it, etc... For such applications, you can use Excel and then do the analysis.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

For some system configurations, you may be able to get a one-button DOS-type directory printout if you define a user command $dir > prn and place it on a toolbar ...
-- but whether this works or not depends on whether your printer is connected to a port that will recognize the PRN synonym redirection, and can also depend on whether your printer will print from a plain text stream, like back in DOS & CPM days.
(USB-connected printers will not, in my experience, but parallel-printer-port connected printers will -- as should COM-port printers, if there are any of those still around.)
One other point worth mention is even where this does work, there may be a significant delay (upwards of a minute) before printout begins.

PS: also, if you have made the registry tweak for GIOPT_NOSETCURDIR, then the above command will only print the default x2 starting directory & not the directory list of the active pane. ;)
brucec

Printing

Post by brucec »

Thanks for your responses. I was trying to cut key strokes down. I did not want to sort anything, simply print the directories as they appeared on the screen. As for software programs Gadwin Print Screen is one program that comes to mind that is simple to use. Oh well, back to doing it the manual way. Keep up the good work.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ cut keystrokes down ...
Bruce,
That's what xplorer² tries to do as its design goal -- & what (usually) narayan harps upon. I don't know why he suggested an extra keystroke approach this time :shock: ;)
{other than that it is flexible & that it works}

nikos,
I note that the console² does not recognise EXIT as a command -- which would save a mouseclick to close it when done; otherwise my suggested user command would be $dir>prn & exit.
This is one instance, where the older DOS console is a click more efficient. ;)
Can this be added?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

exit is recognized but it won't close the window
any subsequent commands will do a new processor in the same window
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

... so what is the "exit & close window" command?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is a chimera :)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

no doubt ...
but which kind ? ;)

1. (Greek mythology) fire-breathing she-monster with a lion's head and a goat's body and a serpent's tail; daughter of Typhon
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

2. a grotesque product of the imagination
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

3. An organism [or process] that contains cells or tissues [or instructions] with a different genotype. These can be mutated cells of the host organism or cells from a different organism or species [or application].
http://www.doegenomestolife.org/glossar ... ary_c.html
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that must be #2
(out of the above i mean ;))

in the same league as straight-talking politicians, clean athletes and all that :)
ZoNi011

Re: Printing

Post by ZoNi011 »

brucec wrote:Is there any thought to add a print button to the menu
wow! GREAT idea!!! :!:
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

In case you don't have a printer connected to a port recognizing PRN, you could always just direct it to a text file which you can open with any editor you'd like.

$dir > directory.txt
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I don't know why he suggested an extra keystroke approach this time :Shocked: :Wink:
I am also in favor of a trick that avoids needless printing. Save the trees! (I know Philip would purr his approval!)

IMHO, most applications don't require any printing. Any type of analysis (or just filing away of a list) can be done with a soft copy.