Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

actuary77

Problems with DOS (command prompt)

Post by actuary77 »

The  command shell is excellent , but the behavior is inconsistent:

1. Example session:

$  ls
      =>    returns dir and keeps xeplorer window open  - good!

dir
      =>    returns dir  - good!

prompt $p$p

=>    prompt unchanged  Bad!

cmd.exe
     =>  returns new command shell in xeplorer window - ok!

close window via windows (X) widget up in the corner of the window
  ==> crash

Session #2 from the xeplorer command prompt $

$  <enter-key>
    =>  returns full blown command shell (e.g. not explorer shell)????????

Why not xeplorer shell?????

Part 2.

The xeplorer shell does not support command history or comnand line completion?????    

But it does support full copy and paste (Nice).....

I frequently work from command line but the haven't used it from  xeplorer because of inconsistent behavior.

Request feature

<right click on file or folder>   =>  Command prompt Here!
________
New Jersey Marijuana Dispensary
Last edited by actuary77 on 2011 Feb 18, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the console is not a 100% equivalent of the MSDOS window
perhaps i haven't figured out how to do some things yet
as a result prompt won't work
you aren't meant to launch a secondary cmd on your own either
(why would you need that?)

by "crash" i take it that you mean an "assertion error" which isn't a crash; you can click ignore to continue; see readme_beta.txt

a solo $ is the equivalent of "command prompt here" that you are asking. It does a standard MSDOS box by design. You don't need separate consoles since these special x2 windows follow the folder (current directory) as you browse in the main x2 window

they do support autocompletion and command history through the "addressbar". I believe if you read the relevant quickstart guide section you'll get a lot of benefit!
actuary77

Post by actuary77 »

I apologize for not being more clear:

1.  If you get command prompt (where the address bar normally appears), you get a $_____.     If you enter a command, such as "dir", you get an open cosole windows (alla xeplorer console).   If you simply hit <enter> at $ prompt, a console appears (alla microsoft cmd.exe console).  I do not understand reason for the different behavior.  Why not just the console (alla  xexplorer) regardles of entering a command or <enter> .  

2.  I would launch a second console for the same reasons you might open a second window.  To work start another session in the same dir....

I personally spend allot of time at the command prompt.   Once I am in at the console, I might be there for a while.  

You can't run a second commands at the same time.  You might start a second console to work in a directory while a command is running in the first console, e.g. make.......or grep.....  or cygwin.bat.    or   wget...  or  

3.   I issued cmd.exe to get a prompt to see where I was at.....

4.   I did not get an "assertion error".   I got "program exceptions" crash,  booom......  I'll see if I can duplicate.
________
LEGACY
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

1. this is by design
as you saw there's only on x2 console per thread, so you may need to open a new one, "dos style"

2. i see what you mean
i never thought about this to be honest
although there is an undocumented registry tweak to have many "cmd" processes share a single console2 window, it gets tricky since you don't know who generates the output

your best bet is to clone a x2 window with ctrl+N and there issue another $-command; that will open a second console2

3. you can see where you are easily
the console2 window title shows the path
actuary77

Post by actuary77 »

Yes, now I see where I am.

My cmd.exe gives me \winnt\system32\cmd.exe as the window title where ever I am.  So out of long habit, I am always looking to the prompt $p$g$_$g for the path.  Nice

Tabbed browsing is excellent addition, very good job.

Question:

I use the folder statistics frequently to clean my drive, always low on space.  A couple of features might be improved.  

1.   There is no context menu on right-click.  If at-da-mouse have to go to the menu/explore to view the directory.

2.  The menu only gives explore option.  It would be nice to have a more robust menu.

3.  (Actuall #1)  If you close the xexplorer window that generated the folder statistics, explore does not have any effect.  (e.g. there is no active instance of xexplorer to "explore").  

If you start an instance of xexplorer (because you killed the first)  in hopes of being able to "explore", no luck,  the folder stats window does not find new instance.   Might want to fix, have folder stats poll windows and see if it can find active instance of xexplorer.  

This can be a killer if you've fun folder stats on whole drive.   You know trying to find that directory thats taking up 10% of your drive and you have no idea where it's at (alla an over zealous wget)
________
Travel insurance advice
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

folder data is half-baked
it was added in the 9th hour due to user pressure
one day it will be done much better with lots more options...
actuary77

Post by actuary77 »

Nikos:

I do not mean to be overly critical, you have a great application and many thanks for the contribution.

For someone, that frequently says "haven't figured it out" you sure have a great grasp of the windows api.
________
Half-Baked