1.0.0.93 beta: Tabs and shortcuts

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

eivind

1.0.0.93 beta: Tabs and shortcuts

Post by eivind »

I have just tried the new "Folder tabs" feature - very nifty.
But: I can't seem to get the shortcut for "New tab" (CTRL+\) to work. Have you any idea why? Is it because I use a non-US keyboard layout?
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Probably.

I'm from Germany and for me it works with my German keyboard layout with Ctrl-#.

What's the equivalent for the "\" on your layout. Have you tried the key next left to the enter key (the lower one)?

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is bad news
there are no keys left to assign to this important command!
rulle

Post by rulle »

Works with Ctrl+| on my keyboard
eivind

Post by eivind »

On a keyboard with "US English" layout, the '\' is between 'backspace' and 'enter' (3rd key to the right of 'p'). I don't have any key there, as the 'enter' occupies two "heights".

On a keyboard with "US-International" layout, the '\' is above the right shift and to the left of 'enter'. On a German keyboard this is # (this fits with what BRX writes), and on my keyboard this key is *. Unfortunately this key doesn't work either. (I tried it before posting the topic.)

rulle >> CTRL+| works for me too. I guess we are in the same country (?) :)
Only "problems" are
  1. This key is placed completely different from the key Nikos thought about. It sits in the upper left corner of the keyboard (above 'tab', left of '1').
  2. Since it's not the \ key, you have to have some kind of info saying that new tab shortcut is "so-and-so" on this layout, and "so-and-so" on that layout.
nikos >> What about CTRL+ALT+N or CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+N? (After all, it is a kind of "New"...)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ctrl+alt+N is taken (sortby name)
chances are that whatever key you think of it's not available...
eivind

Post by eivind »

nikos wrote:ctrl+alt+N is taken (sortby name)
Damn, I overlooked that one. But what about ctrl+shift+alt+n og just shift+alt+n then?
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

Ctrl or Alt..
+Insert - new tab
+PageUp/Dn - switch between
+Del close

---
Ctrl~ - switch between
Shift~ - new tab
ShiftCtrl~ - close tab
(could also be problematic for some)

--

Configurable shortcuts for tabs (bookmarks / user commands alike)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Since it's not the \ key, you have to have some kind of info saying that new tab shortcut is "so-and-so" on this layout, and "so-and-so" on that layout.
At least this can be covered in the manual (in the lookup table).

But then we will have to be clear about how many types of keyboard there are, and what's the cross-mapping between them.

Rather than listing all possibilities, it would be better to put an additional table showing this cross-mapping (which key replaces which key)..

I guess we have seen only a part of this problem: there could be more varieties of keyboards and more differences in key-placements.

Any idea where a more comprehensive info could be found?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the problem is that ctrl+\ isn't really meant to be used as a keyboard shortcut, that's why we get the problems. But I think chp has a good idea with ctrl+insert
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

While we at it (tabs) I will express few more (wished) ideas to consider:

1) Don't use separate tabs at bottom / top, but use existing pane header (with interactive path) instead.
Active tab would have interactive path, while inactive get current "Stuff @ E:" style.
RightClick menu would get "New Tab" command at bottom. Double click on empty space could also be converted to "New Tab" (optional).
Intuitive, accurate, mouse-friendly.. what would you say?

2) Drag`n`drop for tabs, they could be shuffled around AND moved to another pane.

3) I'm not unique, but Scrap Containers in tabs would be really great!

Have fun :)
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

small add:
Doubleclick on inactive tab - close.
If "visual" drag`n`drop is too much to ask for, Rightclick/Move Tab to opposie pane would be quite enough (so full menu list would be: New / Teleport / Waste :)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

OK add two more suggestions to that:

1. r-click on tab to see history (just like what we see from the folder pane header).

2. While the user is passing through all tabs rapidly using the ALT+CTRL+LeftArrow and ALT+CTRL+RightArrow, he should be able to pause at any of these tabs and use the ALT+CTRL+UpArrow and ALT+CTRL+DownArrow to see the history list.

Currently, he has to stop at a tab and press ALT+F2 to see the history. Thenhe has to press the arrow keys to go to a desired location. If he does not find the correct location, he has to again move back to other tabs.

But with the suggested scheme, he would not have to leave the ALT+CTRL+Arrows. (When he finds the correct tab and its history location, he has to just press Enter.)

(I have made these suggestions already elsewhere, but I am repeating them here so that we can get the entire picture...)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

narayan, your marklars are wise and sound :)
however i've sort of ran out of time with this update and your requests are a lot of work. So i either get to lose my day job, or add these features in the "todo" list for another beta!
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

3D interface anyone? ;)
Btw, I didn't mean for "histroy list" to be remove from rightclick, so Tab commands could be just an addition (bottom).