Search within search

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Brad

Search within search

Post by Brad »

Would it be possible to allow searching recursively from a scrap frame? That is, allow the "Local Search" and "Search Subfolders" to both be activated at the same time.

The reason I ask, is it would allow a user to collect a bunch of "interesting folders" in the scrap frame, using one of the many xplorer2 techniques, and then search for files within only these folder. Seems like this would be a very powerful feature.

Or perhaps there is another way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks for any feedback.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is an interesting scenario and you can do something using a dual scrap window

your folders on the left, then use <alt+enter> to flatten each one on the right

the glitch is that whenever you flatten something on the right, the old contents are gone, so you'd have to move them to another scrap first!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Brad,
It sounds at first like you want to narrow down results from a previous search (like what a filter would do); but you speak of finding folders first, then files in second step.
Why the two-step?
If you have criteria for the files; why not just specify that & let the search engine rip?
You can filter the results by folders or other additional criteria when done.
You can even save the big search result as a .cida file for reference, and reuse it as needed without redoing the search.

Alternatively, if you have found a list of folders of interest, they can be all put in the "Look in" entry box as a comma-separated list; and the file criteria added below for step 2.
[It would be so cool if there were a paste special context option for a comma separated list of lineitems from clipboard as captured by Alt+C (copy names) of your selected items. ;) ]

But I must be missing something obvious that makes the above undesirable.
Please expand on you idea. (An example might help.)
Brad

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the good ideas.

Based on them I am currently using the following procedure: Manually find directories of interest and add to a scrap (CTRL-S). Then, in the scrap I choose only the name column (ALT-K), and then copy the columns (CTRL-P). It is trivial to use editor² to convert this to a comma seperated list which I can then paste in the standard search box. If there aren't very many directories to search then I use Nikos' procedure.

My original suggestion was only made because I thought it might be trivial just to allow both these options to be selection, but of course I don't really know. I also like fgagnons idea, although my suggestion may be more obvious, imho. :D

An example of when this arises is searching for a long forgotten document. I browse around the network servers, my workstation, and any other machines that it may be on. Any directory structures that may contain the file I add to the scrap. When finished browsing I initiate the xplorer² search. This saves me from searching "Entire Network"! :lol: