Robust Transfer Appearance Suggestions

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Brad

Robust Transfer Appearance Suggestions

Post by Brad »

Just a few suggestions for improving the appearance of the robust transfer dialog. Could the vertical window size be reduced, as well as the font size? I find the window looks a little bloated. Also, the time estimate is a control when it should probably be an indicator to match the others.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it all looks kind of total-commandery, no?  :shock:
Brad

Post by Brad »

Sure, although the robust transfer uses screen realestate more efficiently than tc :D

I just thought it wasn't quite as clean and efficient as other xplorer2 windows.

On this topic, it might also me nice to change the "Remaining (estimate)" indicator to "Bytes Transfered" when the transfer is complete, and then update the "Speed" indicator to be the true average transfer speed (Total bytes/total time). You would then have your self a disk-benchmarking tool.

I always like this type of feature for roughly guaging my different hard drive, vs network vs internet performance. Helps me to decide when to work on a local copy vs a remote copy.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i wouldn't put too much importance on those transfer speeds
first of all x2 sums both read and write speeds
even time wasted in error reports and overwrite dialogs is also contributing to the overall transfer rate

it is only meant as light entertainment during long copies :)

a real minimalistic implementation i'm planning for the next update will just have a progress bar and the 3 existing buttons with no more info of any sort. People getting bored could always watch narayan's training video during large transfers :D
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

:D Yeah! That's the way to go: dry text has no practical use. Indicators on the other hand give a (rough) idea of what's happening.

BTW when the "replace x with y?" dialog comes up, it should show the file types with icons. That facilitates quicker recognition.
Brad

Post by Brad »

i wouldn't put too much importance on those transfer speeds
first of all x2 sums both read and write speeds
even time wasted in error reports and overwrite dialogs is also contributing to the overall transfer rate
caveat emperor. Although if you calculate it as total bytes/total time it will give the true average transfer rate, but would still include any error reporting time and dialog time of course.
a real minimalistic implementation i'm planning for the next update will just have a progress bar and the 3 existing buttons with no more info of any sort.
That sounds more like the xplorer2 i'm used too. Although if the progress bar is going to jump around as xplorer2 finds new directories then maybe it will be more confusing then helpful? Thanks for the simplification though.
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

nikos wrote:it is only meant as light entertainment during long copies :)
But it is amusing during short copies, too! I recently did a copy of 30-odd Kb of files and robust copy estimated a transfer time of 44 minutes! Of course, by the time I read this the files were copied.  :)

The upgrade you're planning for the dialog interface sounds great.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

44 minutes?
there must have been a temporary distortion in the local time-space continuum
x2's high science time estimation algorithm must have taken that into account :)
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

nikos wrote:44 minutes?
there must have been a temporary distortion in the local time-space continuum
LOL! That's what I thought!  :D
nikos wrote:x2's high science time estimation algorithm must have taken that into account :)

This could be a "feature"! x2 is ready for the 24th century!  :)