Folder Tabs and Pane Activation

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

BugByteMan

Folder Tabs and Pane Activation

Post by BugByteMan »

I am hooked on using the Tab function but there is one inconsistency (annoyance) that I have found:

Clicking on the "Tab Name" of the "Active" Tab in the "Inactive" Pane does not activate the pane when X2 has the focus.

Clicking on any other Tab does activate the pane as desired.  It also works as expected when another program has the focus and the "Tab Name" is the first place clicked within X2.

Any opinions?
lifehater

Post by lifehater »

I can't say that I had already discovered this myself, but I probably would have eventually.  I would expect the inactive pane to take focus when clicking on the active tab, but you're right, it doesn't.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the workaround is to click on the titlebar, a much larger target
or even within the pane you are trying to activate!
BugByteMan

Post by BugByteMan »

I understand the workarounds, however there are sometimes unintended consequences of clicking in other areas:
  • TitleBar : Could accidently change folders  :(
    Pane: Could alter selection (Sometimes it does -- even though I enable Eat the first click) :crying:
Please consider fixing the problem. :party:

Thanks!
lifehater

Post by lifehater »

That workaround sucks.  This is one of the reasons I've decided to dump this application.  One workaround after another (that, and crashes, but I suppose I'm supposed to work around those, too).  I'm not on the payroll, so no, Dr. Watson logs are not forthcoming.

And WHY does xplorer2 grab focus when you have another application in focus, and you are dragging-and-dropping from the background xplorer2 window, onto the application with focus?  PowerDesk and Explorer itself don't do that--they stay in the friggin background like they're supposed to.

I know--there's probably a workaround for that, too, right?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

perhaps you would like a refund? :!:
dpupello

Post by dpupello »

lifehater wrote:And WHY does xplorer2 grab focus when you have another application in focus, and you are dragging-and-dropping from the background xplorer2 window, onto the application with focus?  I know--there's probably a workaround for that, too, right?
As a matter of fact, there is.  Just as a tip to other users who'll continue to use X2, simply press Alt-Tab while dragging and you'll get the focus back to the recipient application.

Oh, the horror, the horror.  :twisted:
lifehater

Post by lifehater »

You really need to work on that sarcasm; it's lame.  As long as you get a charge out of hurling it at me, though.

Hitting Alt+Tab each time is a PITA.  And yeah, by the way, I already knew about it.
dpupello

Post by dpupello »

lifehater wrote:You really need to work on that sarcasm; it's lame.  As long as you get a charge out of hurling it at me, though.
I hurled nothing at you, in fact my comments were aimed "to other users who'll continue to use X2" if you'd look at what was written, rather than twist things so you can spew.

The sarcasm, as you so put it, was not meant as a barb at you.  It was just a quote that seemed to fit what is, to me, such a small thing as pressing Alt-tab.

But of course now you had to send me, via this BBS, a vulgar personal message with simpleton profanity as if from a 13-yr old.  It's ironic.  You -- who seems to cry out for what is wrong with X2 -- are the least constructive and mature person to post here.
lifehater wrote:Hitting Alt+Tab each time is a PITA.  And yeah, by the way, I already knew about it.
Whether you knew about it or not is immaterial.  Who cares?  Again, the post had nothing to do with you -- it was meant to help other users.

I wish you well with Windows Explorer, Powerdesk, or whatever else you turn your sun-splashed attitude upon.

Dennis
BugByteMan

Post by BugByteMan »

Back to the original thread ...
nikos wrote:the workaround is to click on the titlebar, a much larger target
or even within the pane you are trying to activate!
Does "workaround" imply that the current behavior is not as intended?

Is there a chance of changing the behavior to activate the pane when the button is clicked?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there are many mechanisms in x2 meant for optimizing its behaviour
one of them is "don't activate a tab when it is already active"
i could take it out but i don't really see the point
clicking inside a pane to activate it is such a bigger target, why would you want to click on the tab?

selection is preserved (if you have eat first option click on), unless you only have 1 item selected when it is not much of a selection anyway
joeking

Post by joeking »

'eat the first mouse click in panes to protect selection' only keeps the focus rectangle, you lose the larger background colour of the item. (whatever that's called)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as i said this behaves differently depending on how many items you have selected: more than 1 and it will maintain selection+focus
joeking

Post by joeking »

could this be a settable option? I don't understand why it would lose the selection if only 1 was previously selected - surely it should remember the previous state (if it had only 1 item selected)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's not that it will "lose the selection"
since 1 item is almost always selected in x2, it doesn't consider 1 item a selection, so it allows you to click through straight to the item you want