Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pila
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

a bug and improvement sugesstions

Post by pila »

I believe this should be classified as a bug:

Windows XP SP2 with Tweak UI set to prevent applications from stealing focus: When I start an X2 window for the first time, and try to start x2 again (e.g. using a shortcut at the desktop), this second instance will not get in front (get focus) but is treated as it has tried to steal a focus and left at the background. x2 is the only application I have which is behaving like this.

Second question is about Robust copy: if a Copy/Move is invoked with Menu or F5/F6, a Robust Copy is used. Is there a reason why we can not have the Robust Copy by default for Drag & Drop copy also? Could we have a switch so we can enable Robust copy for Drag & Drop also?

Could we have ability to permanently set x2 to clear Read Only atribute permanently when copy is from CD/DVD?

Regards,

Davor
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what happens if you turn that switch off? by default apps don't steal the focus, they just flash the taskbar

robust copy via drag-drop is possible but i left it with explorer for safety

there's an option to clear the read-only attribute already; see copy options
pila
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pila »

nikos wrote:1. what happens if you turn that switch off? by default apps don't steal the focus, they just flash the taskbar

2. robust copy via drag-drop is possible but i left it with explorer for safety

3. there's an option to clear the read-only attribute already; see copy options
1. No, when this is off, applications meddle and steal a focus when they should not (e.g with spash screen). All other appas I have behave as expected except for x2.

2. OK, I have sugessted a switch, at least a registry tweak

3. Yes there is, but it resets every time back to off, and I should remember each time to go to Options and turn it on. I would like to have it constantly on
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

on 1. ==> I cannot reproduce that.  
When I tweakUI to prevent apps from stealing focus, subsequent restarting x2 yields a window which DOES pop to the top for me.  :shrug:

[this on XP-Pro sp2 & tested with x2 v1103]

[edit] But if I remove the /P switch from my usual shortcut commandline, I get the described no-pop-to-top behaviour.
So really, x2 is behaving correctly; because without the /P switch, reinvoking x2 simply re-uses the existing process in a new window (albeit with an additional thread or two).
If you really want a new process to start along with the new window, use the /P switch. ;) [/edit]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it resets every time back to off
since you don't have save settings on exit, do a "save settings now" and it will be remembered
pila
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pila »

many thanks, you were abollutely right, that solved my problems.

:P