Change focus double-click launches app

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Rancher Bob

Change focus double-click launches app

Post by Rancher Bob »

I haven't seen anything on this yet so here goes: Here's a quirk: In double-pane view, when the inactive pane has more than one item selected/highlighted, if I double-click on an ANY one item in the inactive pane, it acts as if I have double-clicked on the one previously selected item that is highest on the list. I have "Eat first mouse click" selected.[/img]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't know why you would want to do this :) but it is sort of expected, since d-click opens the focus and because of your setting for eating clicks, the focus won't change
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Well, not quite Nikos, because you'd expect the 'eat first mouse click' to really eat the first click and thus make the double click a single click (first click only switches panes!!)

I have noticed this too. I sometimes inadvertently double click on the inactive pane (when my intention is to only single click to activate the pane). When you do that the effect Rancher Bob describes happens. It can be nasty since sometimes something will get started which can be quite destructive (a script doing some operations on other files for instance)

I think it would be better to disregard the double click effect altogether in this case and simply interpret it as a single click (to switch inactive state to active state of the pane). Making 'eat first mouse click' really eat only the first click of the double click will be no solution, since then you would loose the selection when the second click is executed (which is the purpose of 'eat first mouseclick' in the first place!)

Something for the wish list I should gather :)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

When "Eat First Mouse Click" doesn't...

Post by pj »

OK, I admit I'm relativly new to x2, but why, oh why is there this exception to the "Eat First Mouse Click" setting? From the help file:
Exception: this protection will not work if the target folder
pane has only one item previously selected. In
that case, a click on any other item will not only
switch the focus to that folder pane, but also
select the new item.
I use the mouse to activate the inactive pane so clicking in the tree pane didn't change the folder in the initial active pane (of course).  I have "Single Click Activation" enabled, but was not expecting to launch apps when I clicked on the inactive pane.  As was previously mentioned, this little "feetur" could be dangerous, or at the least an annoyance.  

I don't understand the significance of the number of items selected in the inactive pane when I click on it, or why it would affect the operation.  If the list is longer than the pane can display, there is no way to know in advance the number of items selected.  This means I can never know what action x2 will perform when I single click in the inactive pane.

For consistency, please reconsider this action or I'll look forward to a work around to set the single click action to "activate pane" and nothing else.

Thanks for caring enough to allow us to benefit from your efforts!

Sincerely,

PJ in Fla
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the idea is protecting the prior selection. When it consists only of 1 item there's nothing to protect

you can click on the title bar to activate a pane without worrying about selection
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

nikos wrote:you can click on the title bar to activate a pane without worrying about selection
That's true, but then what does the "Eat First Mouse Click" really do?