Feature Request: ESC close Scrap Windows

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

kagaku

Feature Request: ESC close Scrap Windows

Post by kagaku »

I really only use scrap windows for searching, and I think a nice feature addition would be the ability to close scrap windows by pressing escape. Anyone else agree? Even if it was optional.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can close them with alt+F4 as any window
devic

Post by devic »

Niko, I belive everybody who is using xplorer² Professional knows about alt+F4 ;) But we want ESC!

Kagaku looke here:
http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1968&highlight=

also I belive #1 and #2 are important.

Niko that's not for all, just registry tweaks... please!
Valery_Kondakoff

Post by Valery_Kondakoff »

Let me second this request. I want to close the Scrap window using Esc key too.
CU
VK
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

If ESC closes the scrap window in x2 then I won't use the program again. Scrap panes are my main use of x2 and they work like a dream the way they are. I stopped using IrfanView because I got fed up with it closing when I hit the ESC key (finally Irfan was convinced to modify the ESC action so that it prompted before a closure). Windows are closed with Alt-F4 if you want to use the keyboard - that is standard in almost every application so why use a key that is not intended for that purpose? If you are going to use ESC Nikos them it MUST be a registry setting and NOT the default.
There are not many things I feel strongly about, but this is one of them!!!!
kagaku

Post by kagaku »

I would be more than happy if this was implimented as a registry setting, even turned off by default. I understand that there are people out there who don't want this feature, but there are also a lot of us who do.

The ALT+F4 shortcut is pretty much a given, considering it's a standard way to close almost any windows application. Unfortunately, it's not an easy key combination to press, whereas ESC is, at least in my opinion, the key I would expect to close a window such as a scrap container. When you press CTRL+F to bring up the search dialog, you can press ESC to close the search window, but not the scrap container. I just think ESC should be extended to scrap containers as well.

nikos, would you please add this as a registry option?
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

I, too, would welcome the option to ESC out of scrap panes.

Those who find the ALT+F4 shortcut awkward (and it is), might wish to try ALT+SPACE+C as an alternative shortcut. This combo is as standard as ALT+F4, but is easy to execute as it sits nicely under the left hand. (YMMV)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It all comes down to what the user has become used to.
I prefer the current setup, where ESC is used to escape out of an on-going search once files of interest have been displayed.
But I would prefer Alt+X to close only the scrap window & not exit from x2 entirely.
Again, it's user preference -- what I've become used to prior to x2.

So the only way I see to satisfy the 2 (or 3?) camps is to offer more user options -- something I expect will come in the future; but as currently nikos claims to have a full-time day job, I can understand the limitations he must have on available time (especially if he has anything like a normal life to lead).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what normal life  :shock: :)
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Close windows automatically 2xExplorer style for 0 results

Post by snakebyte »

I'm missing the 2xExplorer feature which used to close the search result window automatically when zero results were found. I found that feature really cool.

Nikos, do you have any plans of putting it back in xplorer2 ? For those who don't want it, you might even make it as a registry option.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this was another hot ticket. Half the people loved it and half hated not knowing what happened to the search!

anyway, once you have a scrap you can reuse it for subsequent searches
kagaku

Post by kagaku »

Any word on this feature request? Perhaps as a registry option?
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

1) Ctrl+W to close, not switch between windows
(scrap will eventually move into Tabs anyway, so with "single instance x2" ;) ctrl+w will be used to close Tabs then.

2) Ctrl+(Shift)Tab to switch between Tabs. Tabs - new, heavily used feature which needs faster (one hand) switching mechanism.

3) Ctrl+Left/Right MUST work in command line! Ctrl+backspace/delete as well.

Seriously, x2 is dangerously "over-featured". It does satisfy (cover) different tastes and there are (great!) flexibility in it. But even "power" users find it difficult to use half of it. Coding and trying to improve it must be not an easy task either.

So some kind of shake down, features and usability review would be very welcome for x2v2 (hope it will see the light, appealing to far more users with "reorganized" power it already has).
All tabbed (not just tree, preview and two tabs).. Lite , normal and Pro version (same exe).. with zip / rar support and other nice stuff..