Shift+click 'delete' (toolbar button)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Shift+click 'delete' (toolbar button)

Post by appyface »

Curiosity question:  Any reason doing a shift+click the 'x' delete button doesn't work like WinExplorer (e.g. deletes permanently, bypassing recycle bin)?  It adds a toolbar separator instead.

I usually have my hand on the mouse, the other hand selects shift and it is very easy to click the 'x' toolbar button to do the permanent delete.  Now I need to either take my hand off the mouse to press 'del', or go one extra click for the menu choice File -> Delete.

Not a big deal, just curious why this wasn't implemented.  Would love to have it again, if there is no reason not to... ?

Thanks and best regards,
---appyface
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Try shift and DOUBLE clicking the "X" toolbar button. That works for me in XP but according to the documentation it should only be shift+click. I discovered the double click by accident when checking just now. I don't know if Nikos has intentionally changed it or if it is a bug. The double click does provide added security against accidental deletion I suppose.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

This was also discussed a year ago, with no explanation given for why Shift+DeleteButton was not equivalent to Shift+Del  (it seems a strange keycombo for 'insert separator').
... but there were no futher complaints after the Shift+d-click on the DeleteButton action was pointed out; so I guess that is why nikos left it "as is" :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's why there's an extra trash button for toolbars, which does the job of <shift+del> without requiring shift
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

:oops:
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

I'll offer my 2 pence...

1) Select / left click on the file you wish to trash (delete)
2) Click on (and hold) the DELETE button on the toolbar
3) Press and hold the shift button
4) Let go of the left-mouse button.

For me, this brings up the dialog which says it will totally trash the file.

There is also the Trash button for the toolbar (which does the trick), like Nikos said, which is a lot simpler.

PS - if you are still holding the shift key you may release it now  :D
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Thanks for replies, all. :)

This just means my brain has to switch tactics (that's getting more difficult as my brain approaches it's 6th decade LOL).   I work on several computers, many of which will only have WinDoze Explorer, it is a habit to just hit deletebutton while holding shift.  At least shift+deletebutton in xplorer2 doesn't do anything harmful.  Still, I do think it would be nice for many users if xplorer2 followed the same conventions as WinExplorer where the functionality overlaps.  Would make it easier to switch between products without retraining the brain for simple tasks. :)

I discovered that the ScrapContainer doesn't behave even the same as xplorer2 with regard to deletes and buttons and toolbars etc.  I had taken several directories into a container in order to check for duplicates, and the compare ran a VERY long time (I was comparing contents), at the end of a compare I found that hitting 'delete' key removes the highlighted rows from the display!  Aaarrrgh  Again no harm done I just had to run it all over again.  Pilot error, to be sure, but when the pilot flies a plane, he expects the controls to be the same! LOL :)

I guess the one real change I would ask, is to please stay consistent at least within your own product, if not with Windows  Explorer as well.  It just makes things easier for new users that are comfortable with the WinExplorer setup, and also for old ladies like me that will switch between your product and WinExplorer very frequently.

OK I am done complaining.  No regrets in buying xplorer2, I really love the program!  And I will get used to it in time. :)

Having fun with editor2 as well now, it is a quite useful bonus! :)

Best regards,
---appyface
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

scrap containers handle delete as deleting an image in (say) a word document; the image is removed from view without affecting the file on disk (assuming there was one)

to really delete a file you'd have to pick a command from File menu