Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

suggestion - paste and go

Post by profess »

hi nikos,

i, personally, would find a 'paste and go' function useful for pasting file path \ file.exe into the address bar.

is this a possibility?

great program (sure your head's big enough by all the praise).

regards.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

not sure what you mean
you can pick paths from the view into the addressbar using <ctrl+enter> and variants with shift+ alt (see the tips file)
for frequent commands you'll be better off creating a template and store it as a custom user command (Customize menu)
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Hi Nikos,

I will explore your suggestions, however, this is what I mean.

When you paste a file path and filename into the Address Bar, then press enter, it takes you to the file.  For example (example below from a win98 machine):

1) copy the path\filename C:\windows\notepad.exe
2) right click in the Address Bar text space and choose paste
3) press enter

This will take you to the folder C:\windows\ and will select the file notepad.exe.

I would like, if possible, when you have already done step 1, then do step 2, step 2 will incorporate step 3 and it takes you to the folder and highlights the file.

For example:

1) copy the path\filename C:\windows\notepad.exe
2) right click in the Address Bar text space and choose paste and go
3) file notepad.exe is navigated to and found in the folder \ file list.

This feature is available in opera, and useful at times.  You just "paste and go", it pastes the URL then takes you to the website.

Hope this helps.  Also, I do not know if this would be useful to others - or, with some feature I do not use, have adverse affects.

Regards.[/quote]
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

I often paste paths into the address bar that I know do not exist any longer and then modify them to a similar path I know does exist, usually a different date suffix for a folder. I think the "paste and go" feature in that situation would cause more problems than it would save (I know x2 ignores the non-valid path and displays a message in the status bar, but that is not always seen). I seem to remember the suggestion of a "go" button to the right of the address bar, is this idea still somewhere in the wish list Nikos?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, this has come up before, as Gandolf mentions.
And the issue with it is the need to allow editing, as he describes -- as was the isea of a GO button ... which is really nothing more than an ENTER key for when you are holding the dirty rodent (ugh).
I also recall that nikos said he might add a GO button eventually; but eventually hasn't happened yet. :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

profess:
if you are mouse-centric you'll find that you can drop program icons to the addressbar and that's like pasting their name/path

et al:
that go button is in the list, yes
one of these days when i write code for the drivebar such toolbar issues will go in too
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Thanks for the replies.

Basically "paste" would still exist.  I was thinking "paste and go" would be an extra option (opera browser).  I can understand not having it if it's going to cause problems etc.

The go button would also be useful.