Office 2003

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jgutierrez

Office 2003

Post by jgutierrez »

Have you considered implementing an Office 2003 look & feel to xplorer2, similar to the XPlorer file manager (http://guti.webcindario.com/static.php?page=XPlorer), and so other applications?

I think that Office 2003 interface is not only pretty and modern, but also the defacto standard nowadays.
________
Suzuki sx4 history
Last edited by jgutierrez on 2011 Feb 16, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's all about visuals, no substance
next year the "2003" fashion (i personally find it hideous) will be forgotten in favor of the new longhorn "style" :)
MegaZapFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MegaZapFan »

Ahem, "Vista", please ;)
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side...
jgutierrez

Post by jgutierrez »

Well, then call it skinning. Where users could design its own color combination and icon scheme.

This way we could have Office 2003, Visual Studio 2005, or Vista look and feel (among others).
________
Ferrari California
Last edited by jgutierrez on 2011 Feb 16, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the problem with skins and styles is that you don't get it for free. It's one of the most frustrating and tedious things to program and takes a long time to get it right.  Or you need deep pockets and buy such code every other year when fashions change.

x2 isn't a looker but it isn't a dogface either. Somber is the word i'd use to describe its looks :)
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

I've seen the way Office 2003 looks and I prefer xplorer2 just the way it is.
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I agree.
Vas
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

skinning (at least, nicer icons!) would be great!!!  :P
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Office 2003

Post by wasker »

jgutierrez wrote:Have you considered implementing an Office 2003 look & feel to xplorer2
I think that Office 2003 interface is not only pretty and modern, but also the defacto standard nowadays.
Oh, please, no. Lots of people implemented the Office 2003 look, but it's rare when the one implement also a feel of Office 2003: either menus not drawn correctly, or icons wrong, or toolbars implemented badly.

So, please, stay with classic view and don't go with skins.

And, BTW, that'd be great if X2 also used this new-fashioned transparent-blue selection as Explorer does when running in Windows XP themed environment. Of course, if this is possible.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Theming the UI

Post by RickyF »

I would hope that sophisticated users, as I expect most xplorer² users are, would not confuse the UI and a program's functionality.

IMHO Nikos rates an A++ for functionality. I could even argue there is too much functionality in xplorer² because I keep finding out that it does so much more than I will ever be able to remember! (I could argue this but I won't since the memory deficiency is mine and not the program's.)

I believe that xplorer² uses the underlying Windows theme for its UI.

If a user wants to really play with the Windows UI or the UI for a specific application then I recommend buying WindowBlinds from http://www.stardock.com which in their words is
The ultimate GUI customization program. It allows users complete control over how Windows looks and feels.
JamieG

Look 'n feel are secondary issues

Post by JamieG »

ckit's reply to Nikos's dogface comment is about the funniest visual posting I've ever seen :lol:   I echo his and RickyF's thoughts too, I don't really care how xplorer2 looks (& it looks fine to me!), just how it works!