3?'s...Searced the groups, and PDF manual. didn't see answer

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

whomung

3?'s...Searced the groups, and PDF manual. didn't see answer

Post by whomung »

Hi..... If these are  FAQ's, please point me too it.... I searched, but didn't phrase it right or find what I needed

(1) I'm using the current version of X2 Pro....  I've set it up as the windows explorer replacement following the guides for editing the registry.

I want X2 to ALWAYS open in dual pane mode (regardless of the specific folder/partition path it's aimed at.... with the tree open to the drive partitions, and the preview pane available.  

*** I believe I eliminated the switches to open X2 in single window mode in all the reg command sections --but it didn't work --it still opens in single pane. Since I almost always am looking in multiple folders, it'd be nice to not have to hit the "dual pane" button 25 times a day.

(2) I looked for this as well, but no definitive answer.... X2 seems to be able to display AutoCAD dwg BACKUPS, but not the actual dwg.  If I try to look at a dwg, I just get code... but in the backups, I can see the image...  Also, X2 dies vertually every time I use it to launch a DWG into AutoCAD.  it ... "encounters a problem".. and needs to kill it self... any good reason for this you can think of?

If there is a fix for this, great.....  If not... add it to the wishlist.... I would LOVE to be able to go through project directories and preview AutoCAD DWGS (at least up to 2004 file format. --and at least mesh / wireframe views of 3D dwgs) rather than use another viewer specifically for that  purpose.  It would make the organizing of projects much easier, IMO....

Finally (3) I love the editor... I use it mostly for text.  Is there a way to add a spell check to it?.... even linking to the one from MS word would be nice... Right now I'm using "tinySpell"... which is servicable, but not the smoothest process

Thanks
--
whomung
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

1. if you have "save settings on exit" enabled or if you use "save settings now" (Actions menu) while in dual  pane mode, you  won't have this problem any more. There's also /2 you can add to the command line

2. i don't know this particular format but you can ask the autocad support whether they provide previews for windows explorer. You can also try "Normal" preview tab to see if IE works better

3. not possible
whomung

Post by whomung »

nikos wrote:1. if you have "save settings on exit" enabled or if you use "save settings now" (Actions menu) while in dual  pane mode, you  won't have this problem any more. There's also /2 you can add to the command line

2. i don't know this particular format but you can ask the autocad support whether they provide previews for windows explorer. You can also try "Normal" preview tab to see if IE works better

3. not possible
Hi Niko's..... Thanks for the response

(1) Tried "save settings" but that didn't seem to make a difference... I'll try again, and if it doesn't work --I'll try  the "/2" switch in the registry and see what happens and report back

(2) I think there's stuff out there that lets you view DWG's in Explorer.... but I don't know that they are really stable with X2.... I tried one --and can see ACAD.BAK files, but not dwg's.... and if I double click on a dwg to launch it, it almost always crashes X2....

(3) re spell check in the editor... Bummer  :cry:

And let me thank you for creating a really nice file tool.... I actually purchased several others before I found yours, and the second I installed X2 lite, I threw the others away --then ordered the pro version..... IT's great now, and I'm, sure it'll continue to get better... Thanks
--
whomung
whomung

Post by whomung »

BTW.... Besides "regedit and setting file defaults in the folder control panel) I have also tried --from inside X2

(1) actions > save settings now (checked)
(2) tools > options > save settings on exit (checked)
(3) as well as trying to create this default layout under "layouts", tabs and "folder Groups"....

None of these worked as expected

I don't know what I'm missing or doing wrong  --but I don't normally consider myself an complete idiot, and I (believe) I read the relevant part of the  manual as well as skimmed these forumsfor info before asking the question -- I'm willing to be an idiot to get this working  --but so far none of the things I tried worked in a realitively straightforward manner, eh?  

I'll try the regedit /2 switch later....
--
whomung
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you using any command line arguments at all that perhaps may negate what this thread is talking about? (e.g. if you are using /1 as recommended in registry.txt to associate x2 with folders)
if I double click on a dwg to launch it, it almost always crashes X2
what if you right-click & pick open? what happens in explorer? and what does the crash dialog say exactly? (a snapshot would be helpful)
whomung

Post by whomung »

Hi....

I will go through registry.txt again.... I just went through it, but might have missed something.....  I also looked at the command line options.

ALSO... (maybe this is key) I'm not putting the "@=" in the strings...  I'm assuming just the string in quotes..... because the @="string"  didn't seem to work....  and I just cut and pasted that.

As it sits.... It seems if I launch X2 from "my computer icon/'menu" off the "Start Menu",  it insists on opening as I described, single window...... No tabs.... BUT...  if I launch it seperately, it opens basically as desired.....  Dual Pane..... I don't know what I'm missing....

I'll look at the tabs later,

And as I mentioned --for some reason I can preview AutoCAD.BAK files as easy as a jpg, but can't see the actual dwg.  Too bad.  I'll look for a windows explorer add-in, but I don't want to destabalize X2

I just launched into ACAD, and it didn't crash --but it's been doing it alot (evidently intermittent problem --the best kind)... when I get a crash report, I'll pass it along....
--
whomung
whomung

Post by whomung »

hi...FWIW

(1) If I DO NOT Try to use X2 as the replacement (ie, clicking on the my computer icon on the start menu), and run it as a stand alone app --it works EXACTLY as I want -- dual panes, tree, viewer, tabs saved --Perfect

BUT

in terms of editing the registry and using it as the replacement... at this point, I've got --

@="open with E:\Program files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe" /2 "%1"

In every reg key suggested in registry.txt and and it STILL  comes up the same every time, single pane, no tabs.... unable to remember settings

I've tried it with just "E:\Program files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe" /2 "%1"   as well --same result. as well as the other variations in the registry text..... and the PDF....

This is on XP Pro, up to date as of this morning... but this has been a (tiny) issue for a while

Love to have a fix for this, so it was transparent, instead of demanding X2 be "pinned to the Start Menu"

thanks
--
whomung
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the easiest way to get around all these "@=..." issues is to use regedit straight to change the open verb

if you have installed the latest 1303 then you will automatically have a basic key called:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open with xplorer2
d-click on that command and change it to remove /1 and /T arguments leaving everything else as is

to make this the default for folders, rename the main key name to something without spaces e.g from "open with xplorer2" to "openx2"

then change the default value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell to this verb "openx2"
whomung

Post by whomung »

Thanks Nikos... I'll give it a try.... In a day or so... (not today) and let you know what happens

FWIW.... the behavior I described was ONLY from trying to start X2 by clicking on the "my computer" icon on the start menu....  starting it other than that... it worked exactly the way I wanted....  no problem, dual panes, saved tabs, etc....

Soooo... Last night, I completely eliminated ALL the MS Icons on my "Start Menu" and "pinnned" X2 to the top....

X2 has *everything* that all those icons provide and more..... and  it's a lot smarter and faster and capable.... so why even have the MS stuff around?....  that whole side of my start menu is totally blank now... X2 is right on top, and it opens just the way i want... and one click gives me access to everything.... and all the functions.... much better...  :wink:

Thanks, nice tool....
--
whomung
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if the problem is only for "my computer" you must modify the above workaround, since it only pertains to filesystem folders ("directories")
whomung

Post by whomung »

Oh my Gwad.....  I don't know what I did....  But now, X2 is really unstable...  I can't even click back in the path without it crashing....  It's writing all sorts of wrong stuff to the registry --dozens of entrys a day according to SysMechanic...  It still crashes trying to launch a dwg into AutoCAD

It gives me this dialog box

--
AppName: xplorer2_uc.exe AppVer: 1.3.0.3 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00018fea
--

I tried to get the text file it references --but even searching for it I can't find it --I looked in the directory partition where it said it was, and on the whole drive --no file by that name... so..... I dunno

Is there a FAST way to reset everything to defaults --including Windows Explorer as default and start again?   Sounds like if I can get back to that, I can go forward again --but at this point, I dunno....  I'm pretty sure most of the current instability I'm experiencing is my fault --and rather than spend hours trying to find everything I touchedin the registry --I'd like to just hit "reset" X2

Would a complete uninstall reinstall work?  Would I need to do anything special so it doesn't come back with the same settings?  

Sorry, Like I said, with the exception of it crashing on launching dwg's, I'm confident most of this is my screw up --not sure what I did... but I did something.
--
whomung
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It's easy to get xplorer2 back to its default settings:
Just delete all the xplorer2 (or xplorer2_UC) registry keys found under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\
The next time you start xplorer2, it will start with its factory defaults and rewrite that portion of the registry with them.

But, having said that, I suspect your problem lies elsewhere -- in the modifications you made to the shell settings. I hope you backed up (exported) that area of the registry before you made changes, and kept track of which keys you modified so you know what keys to restore.

Worst case might be an OS re-install :(
Hopefully you won't have that much of a problem.

PS -
Please tell us that you read & understood the first lines of registry.txt before you started:
--------------------------------------------------------
                    ***WARNING***
EDITING THE REGISTRY CAN RENDER YOUR COMPUTER UNUSABLE.
UNLESS YOU ARE 100% CERTAIN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING,
YOU ARE ADVICED NOT TO MODIFY IT IN ANY WAY.
--------------------------------------------------------

PPS - in reviewing your posts, I see GOOD NEWS: your OS is XP :D
All you should have to do to get back your windoze settings is to perform a "system restore"  
Start | Help | {navigate to roll back your system to a previous state, and/or to Undo changes to your system with System Restore} then follow the prompts & choose a time from before you made your registry changes.
whomung

Post by whomung »

fgagnon wrote:It's easy to get xplorer2 back to its default settings:
Just delete all the xplorer2 (or xplorer2_UC) registry keys found under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\
The next time you start xplorer2, it will start with its factory defaults and rewrite that portion of the registry with them.

Great.....
fgagnon wrote: But, having said that, I suspect your problem lies elsewhere -- in the modifications you made to the shell settings. I hope you backed up (exported) that area of the registry before you made changes, and kept track of which keys you modified so you know what keys to restore.
hahahahahahah.....  I wish....  I thought I wsa going to make two changes, and that was it... so... no net
fgagnon wrote: Worst case might be an OS re-install :(
Hopefully you won't have that much of a problem.
that would be good...  
fgagnon wrote: PS -
Please tell us that you read & understood the first lines of registry.txt before you started:
Uhhhh....  Yes... I read & then IGNORED THE WARNING...
fgagnon wrote: PPS - in reviewing your posts, I see GOOD NEWS: your OS is XP :D
All you should have to do to get back your windoze settings is to perform a "system restore"  
Start | Help | {navigate to roll back your system to a previous state, and/or to Undo changes to your system with System Restore} then follow the prompts & choose a time from before you made your registry changes.
8)

Cool....  System restores I got....  so, we'll go with the easiest first.... but I'm sure this isn't remotely a re-install level deal....  

BUT... LET THIS BE WARNING !!!!

HAHAHAHAHA... Crap.....   :wink:
--
whomung
whomung

Post by whomung »

Well.... YAY

Deleting all the reg keys set X2 back to Default  --it even let it launch an AutoCAD dwg with no probs....   So --at first test at least-- I'm a happy guy...  

I'd mail you my first born child in gratitude, but he's a 35 year old US Navy Seal, and he eats a lot and has some pecular attitudes... so I'll just say thanks instead...  :wink:

And you know what else --based on this -- I think I'll even do a BACKUP of my Hard drive (what a concept --actually USE the 180gig drive sitting next to me for something)....

it's been a while since I did any housekeeping......

Thanks again
--
whomung
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

You are welcome.
(& glad I could help.)

PS - Thanks for not sending your first-born.  A 35 yr old Navy Seal would conflict with my 28 yr old Air Force C130 Loadmaster with his own peculiar attitutes (likely the only thing in common would be the large appetite).  ;)