Is there a shortcut key to copy address in Address Bar?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

danielrod

Post by danielrod »

I've looked at the manual in the section "Using Address Bar" but couldn't find anything.

I realize I can do Ctrl+Tab or Shift+Tab, then Ctrl+C, but that is a lot of keys to be typing very often.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daniel
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I am assuming that you want to compose a DOS/Windows command.

(The Address Bar automatically follows the active pane, and hence there is no need to copy an address from the panes into Address Bar.)

The DOS/Windows commands are not core function of the Address Bar; and hence the UM describes them separately. Please check the techniques provided on p. 154-155. (Using tokens and borrowing the paths from panes).

Also check out the rest of this section (especially automatic script generation)-- It will help you achieve even higher productivity!
danielrod

Post by danielrod »

Thanks for the info, Narayan, however, I'm not trying to compose a DOS/Windows command.  I simply want to copy the active pane's address to paste it into an email to send to someone.  I do this a lot to point people to paths on the network.  That's all.

I used Servant Salamander in the past and it had a way of copying the address by typing a single key (F6 or something).  I believe Total Commander has this same capability.

Any ideas?

Daniel
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Alt-c will copy the full path of the currently selected item. It's easy enough to paste that into an email and backspace the filename out. Or you can install a context menu app like Path Copy (Ninotech), which gives you all sorts of options for copying filenames and paths.
danielrod

Post by danielrod »

Thanks Brig.  Yes, I'm familiar with Alt+C, but I'm trying to avoid multiple steps here.

I'm sensing that the answer to my question is simply *no*.  There is no single shortcut to copy the address in one shot!

Thanks,

Daniel
dpupello

Post by dpupello »

I have to say, it would be nice to have a key combo that would copy the current path.

Alt-C works great if a file or folder is selected, but of course does nothing when there is no current selection.

Can Alt-C be altered like the 6 Million Dollar Man (we can build him -- better, stronger, faster) so that it copies the current path when no file or folder is active?  That would be ideal -- one keystroke to fit all contexts.

If not, can we not get another key combo to do the same?

With all this power at hand, there must be some way to flay the cat... :)

Dennis
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

I use AutoHotKey for stuff like this.

For instance, the following script would map the functionality you're looking for to CTRL+ALT+c:

Code: Select all

$^!c::
   IfWinNotActive, ahk_class ATL:ExplorerFrame
   {
      Send, ^!c
      return
   }
   Send, ^{Tab}^c{Tab}
   return
Once the script is active, just hit CTRL+ALT+c and you're ready to paste the current path!  Of course, you can map this to any key combo you want.  

You could also use a VBS script to add this functionality.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what i do is copy the path of a file in the folder and then delete the file portion. You could also go up folder and use alt+c there... loads of choises
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

what i do is copy the path of a file in the folder and then delete the file portion. You could also go up folder and use alt+c there... loads of choises
That's what I do mostly. Another one (at least in my 2pane view) is Shift+Tab and Ctrl-C.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

There is no single shortcut to copy the address in one shot!
But there is! Ninotech Path Copy  can do whatever you want (there are 8 options to choose from; and all options are available in a single step, from the context menu).

No need to edit/delete anything after copying.

How does it matter whether the function comes from x2 or its "plug-in"?
Anyway, till Nikos develops this function, use  Ninotech Path Copy!

See chapter-8 of User Manual for details.