Copying/moving to non-existing directory

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Copying/moving to non-existing directory

Post by wasker »

Say, I clicked F5, then "Here" and typed some path "deep\deep\down" (related to current directory, neither folder in the typed path exists). Now xplorer fails to copy/move files there. Is this possible to walk the typed path and create all non-existing folders within the path before copying? This could be very time-saving feature.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Generally x2 will only copy to an existing path
(or it pops up a "Target folder is invalid" message)
Perhaps you would like it to offer to create the folder?
< I second the idea. >
or if you just mis-typed the path, to avoid that uncertainty you can use the [...] button to the right of that dialogbox to browse to an existing folder.

On a partly related topic, there is a case where x2 will automatically create folders as necessary: "structured scrap clips".  If you have a selection of items from various folders in a scrap-pane and you want to copy them as a group maintaining their relative folder heirarchy, you can create the entire necessary heirachy under the destination top folder using
Paste special | Structured scrap clips on the RMB context menu  {or Paste special | Folder structure, for folders only}.  See the user manual for details.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

fgagnon wrote:Generally x2 will only copy to an existing path
(or it pops up a "Target folder is invalid" message)
Perhaps you would like it to offer to create the folder?
< I second the idea. >
Exactly. And create not just folder, but the whole tree, if needed.

If I copy to
C:\Program Files\Common Files\This\Is\NonExistent\Folder
I want x2 to create [This\Is\NonExistent\Folder] part of the tree.

And I'm not sure about "offer". I'd prefer x2 to silently create new folders and do the copy/move operation as requested.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

wasker,
I think, if you think it through, you would appreciate the app asking to create non-existent path\folder(s) -- as a double-check against typo's and/or mis-recollection of path where you want something copied/moved.  
(But the way things have worked in x2 is that nikos often provides a registry switch to make such things a user option.)

nikos,
This is a good idea that adds usability/functionality saves time, improves user efficiency, etc.
Can it be added in a future version?
Demetris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Demetris »

wasker wrote:Exactly. And create not just folder, but the whole tree, if needed.
I want this too, preferrably without confirmation.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

fgagnon wrote:wasker,
I think, if you think it through, you would appreciate the app asking to create non-existent path\folder(s) -- as a double-check against typo's and/or mis-recollection of path where you want something copied/moved.  
(But the way things have worked in x2 is that nikos often provides a registry switch to make such things a user option.)
Yes, I understand that confirmation would be appreciated by novice users. It's OK for me. But if there will be some registry setting for turning such confirmation off, that'd be much better.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

continuing OT ...
and not just for novices, but also for seasoned users who are dealing with petabytes of information co-"managed" by 1000s of users on an extended network. ;)
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

fgagnon wrote:continuing OT ...
and not just for novices, but also for seasoned users who are dealing with petabytes of information co-"managed" by 1000s of users on an extended network. ;)
Uhm... Yes, you're right. :)
Then registry option would be appreciated for those who aren't afraid nor network administrator. ;)
Starsurfer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starsurfer »

i guess it depends how you are working..
could add another option for it in the F5/F6 options itself
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Starsurfer wrote:i guess it depends how you are working..
could add another option for it in the F5/F6 options itself
I believe this option is of "set and forget" kind.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, that's the way most regi-tweaks work.

The enthusiasm is great, BUT ... let's not get ahead of ourselves here -- nikos has yet to say whether he will add this feature, or when. ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in the future, of course :)