subdir size

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

klunde

subdir size

Post by klunde »

Is there  a way to get the size of the currently selected subdir? I know that i get the size of all subdirs with ctrl-D

Code: Select all

</Morten>
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Press F12 to get the size dialog.

If you have to do that frequently (with different selections), then select the  Tools| options menu option; select the Advanced tab; and then tick the calculate subfolder sizes automatically. After this, The status bar will show the size of your selection (files+folders).

>> To see the total size of folders belonging to different directories, collect them in a scrap pane and then follow this last trick..
klunde

Post by klunde »

Actually, what I want is the same as ctrl-D, but only for the currently selected directory.

</Morten>
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's no direct way to do that but i can imagine a few possibilities:
a. use ctrl+S to send the selected folder(s) to a scrap and do a ctrl+d there
b. ctrl+alt+J to show just the selected folder and then again ctrl+d then ctrl+J to show back everything else
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Or go into the directory and do an ALT-D. Gives a nice breakdown too in the folders. My preferred way to see the size info.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
klunde

Post by klunde »

nikos wrote:there's no direct way to do that but i can imagine a few possibilities:
a. use ctrl+S to send the selected folder(s) to a scrap and do a ctrl+d there
b. ctrl+alt+J to show just the selected folder and then again ctrl+d then ctrl+J to show back everything else
Puh! I will never do this. It's way to many keys to push... The only thing I really would like is that you add ctrl-shift-c to show subdir size for current dir in the next version. What about that?

</Morten>
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

narayan gave you a single click solution: F12 (or alt+enter)
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

klunde wrote:It's way to many keys to push... The only thing I really would like is that you add ctrl-shift-c
Better, that is already possible! Right click (or Shfift-F10) R (properties). The same info and more! The same amount of keystrokes (two or three) as ctrl-shift-c.

:lol:  :P  :lol:  :P  :twisted:

[Later] Oops. F12 = Properies. Everyday learning something new.... :wink:
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
klunde

Post by klunde »

I don't agree - it must be a one-hand short cut. I can easily press ctrl-shift-c with my left hand. If I must use two hands its not a shortcut. Also I do not care about other nifty informations - all I want is to know is the size of the selected dir inclusive subdirs - like the excellent ctrl-c function. Unfortunelately the ctrl-c function is usesless when the three top directories has 200~ ++ files. X2 waits forever and forever and loops (resets) long before it comes down to the directory I've selected in the list.

</Morten>
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

so what's the difficulty with the single-stroke F12 suggested above?
Starsurfer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starsurfer »

yes i usually use  F12  too...
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Hi Nikos,

So could a new command called "Subfolder size [current]" be created, with a new shortcut.  X2 would then only calculate the selected file's size.

The existing Ctrl-D command, could be called "Subfolder size [all]" or "Subfolder sizes [all]".  Not sure which is grammatically correct, maybe both are? Anyway...

Just a suggestion to an already excellent product.  

Osei
klunde

Post by klunde »

fgagnon wrote:so what's the difficulty with the single-stroke F12 suggested above?
What's the difficulty? It opens a new window! I don't want a new window where I have to press esc to get out of it again. I just want to know the size of the currently selected directory as it already shows me with the ctrl-d function, but unfortunelately (as written above) the ctrl-d doesn't work if some of your folders are large and frequently used.

I want a ctrl-{key} to show size of currently selected directory.

</Morten>
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

If you only want to use one keystroke how about these AutoHotkey http://www.autohotkey.com/ scripts.

^#!d::
SetTitleMatchMode,1
IfWinActive, xplorer²
{
Send ^#!j
Send ^d
Send !v
Send o
}
else
{
Send ^#!d
}
return

or a slight variation (same thing, different keystrokes)

^d::
SetTitleMatchMode,1
IfWinActive, xplorer²
{
Send !v
Send v
Send y
Send !l
Send u
Send !v
Send o
}
else
{
Send ^d
}
return

You can assign them to any key combination you want. If you use the second version then you can even assign it to Ctrl+D!! It will then display the directory size for the focused directory with the Ctrl+d keystroke and you can use the menu command (Alt+l | u) to display the sizes for all directories.
klunde

Post by klunde »

Tank you for your excellent solution that will give me one keystroke, but actually I'm not interrested in installing anohter program just to get that functionality, I'm only hoping to make my point so that this can be incorporated into future versions of x2. The way the current ctrl-D functions is operating it is working only if you have small and/or not very active subdirs.

Another poster above in this thread suggested to change the ctrl-d function to be subdir-size for current dir and then anohter key kombination for all subdirs and I really second that suggestion.

</Morten>