Assign 'Refresh' to F5?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

But that's what I meant too. Ctrl+R doesn't do anything else than trigger the refresh. So if your PC is too busy doing something else, X² won't refresh even when you hit Ctrl+R!
In my experience on my computer, Ctrl-R will force refresh even if the application hasn't grabbed CPU time yet.

I guess my world works differently than yours.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

David_1cog wrote:Oh dear, I've been a muppet.  I've been saying 'auto-refresh' when I've been actually been referring to 'Tools ... Options ... Automatically re-sort contents after moving/copying etc.'.  That would explain the all-round confusion.  :?  I wasn't aware of the 'Hold autorefresh' option.

I'm guessing everything I've said makes more sense now that I've got that bit right?  :lol:

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
No harm done, we'll get there eventually :)

With the risk of becoming a nuisance, what is your problem with auto resorting after copy. If you don't want it, you can simply turn it off?
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
Tang

Post by Tang »

Customized shortcut key completely defined by users is possible?

:?:
^_^
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Nope, not until Nikos has had time to implement this (and that may be a while) :)
viruzth

Just an Idea...

Post by viruzth »

Why dont we use F5 for refresh and F6 for copy/move dialog ^^

I mean, F6 wil open a dialog with [copy] [move] [close] button... so for ppl with F5 minded will happy and ppl with 2x minded will be fine and happy ^^

I hv no problem with ctrl+r key, i've been using 2x for long long long long time...And i still using 2x (x2 is not free, but hey, nico need to eat right? He told me, that he need to eat  :idea:)
and did i mention long time?

But, many of my friendsSs hate the ctrl+r, so they dump 2x or x2 right away.

GO! 2x!!! err X2...
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Just an Idea...

Post by JRz »

viruzth wrote:Why dont we use F5 for refresh and F6 for copy/move dialog ^^
[...]
It's all about usability. One single key for copy/move is not advisable, because F5 will indeed show you the dialog, but Ctrl+F5 directly copies files without asking for destination (assumes you want it to go into the opposite pane). Similarly Alt+F5 copies to the last destination you used. Same modifiers apply to the F6 function button for the move operations.

This would no longer be possible if you combine copy and move into one function.
thericochet

Post by thericochet »

Hi, i'm bumping this thread because i didn't want to create a whole new topic dedicated to the same request. Refresh not being mapped to F5 is truly the only thing I find annoying about the program (however it is still great).

F5 is something I use so much with many programs that I even have it mapped to the middle click button on my mouse, so it's extra strange for me to have the Copy dialog pop up out of nowhere when I instinctively click F5 to refresh (even if it's not necessary with auto-refresh it's still something I instinctively do).

This is really the only reason I signed up to these forums, just to suggest this! Thanks!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Some time ago nikos acknowledged that he would consider implementing User-customizable shortcut keys for version 2 (or 3)  
So, as I understand it, this is already on the big future to-do list; but note that we are only up to version 1.5 after a year and a half -- so don't hold your breath. ;)
rcfima

Post by rcfima »

fine work nikos.

regards the resort. that can be handled/ scripted via autoit.

thanks.
rcfima.
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

I would be satisfied, if auto refresh will work quicker. I mean, sometimes it detect changes quite slowly. For example (deceased) Turbo Navigator refresh immediately regardless of CPU usage/how long my session with PC are.

But while Xplorer2 have no idea what is goin on, I use Ctrl+R, and I have to admit that F5 would be more nicer and logical key for that.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

x2 optimizes refreshes and depending of the rate changes occur it can just sit and wait for things to settle down till it goes ahead with the refresh. When there's a lot of disk activity the last thing you'd want is x2 to put extra burden refreshing every other second, surely!
Last edited by nikos on 2006 Mar 13, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

JRz wrote:
RickyF wrote:It's not that autorefresh fails it's just that it hasn't happened yet.

I run lots of applications simultaneously. Not every one can have the CPU's attention simultaneously. Once I go to dual-core maybe things will change.
But that's what I meant too. Ctrl+R doesn't do anything else than trigger the refresh. So if your PC is too busy doing something else, won't refresh even when you hit Ctrl+R!

Again, maybe Nikos can tell you more...
But on some machines it takes forever before autorefresh jumps in. I can wait sometimes very long, and my machine is doing nothing, but I use often Ctrl-R, otherwise, no refresh. And I had this discussion with Nikos before and my settings looks good, but no autorefresh. So depending on something strange settings, autorefresh can take long times (waiting 10 seconds or longer).
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

nikos wrote:When there's a lot of disk activity the last thing you'd want is x2 to put extra burden refreshing every other second, surely!
I don't know what kind of technique x2 uses to track down changes in files/directory, but for example Turbo Navigator seems to update directory listing in 1 sec interval without problems.

However F5 for refresh would be nice :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try any "fast refreshing" manager in a folder with 10000 files that get frequently updated and you'll see your "advantage" becoming a pain in the @rse ;)
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

nikos wrote:try any "fast refreshing" manager in a folder with 10000 files
Well, if that is someone's everyday situation, it might be uncomfortable. I never, honestly, do not have 10000 files in one folder, so I hapily like to see x2 with fast refreshing (even optional).