Make xplorer2 default file browser option...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Make xplorer2 default file browser option...

Post by TsunamiZ »

I've defaulted my file folders to open with xplorer2.  This works for folder shortcuts, too.  However, folder shortcuts with changed icons don't open with xplorer2.  Please fix this.  Perhaps add an option to make xplorer2 the default file browser system wide.  Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you remove the little arrow icon from shortcuts they end being called shortcuts and x2 knows nothing about them. This is a  windows feature
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

How can I remove the little arrow?  Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

your tweaking/skinning program can do that
do your shortcuts have this arrow icon or not?
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

nikos wrote:your tweaking/skinning program can do that
do your shortcuts have this arrow icon or not?
My shortcuts have this arrow.  But can you fix the program so that users don't have to trick the program this way?  I prefer having the little arrow by the shortcuts to differentiate shortcuts from actual files/folders.  Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you do have the arrow on your folder shortcuts then x2 should have opened them, including those with changed icons, unless they somehow don't show said arrow
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

nikos wrote:if you do have the arrow on your folder shortcuts then x2 should have opened them, including those with changed icons, unless they somehow don't show said arrow
Well, they don't open even with the arrow setting on.  :(   I don't know if it's because I put these shortcuts in the quicklaunch bar.  Or what's the problem?
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

TsunamiZ wrote:
nikos wrote:if you do have the arrow on your folder shortcuts then x2 should have opened them, including those with changed icons, unless they somehow don't show said arrow
Well, they don't open even with the arrow setting on.  :(   I don't know if it's because I put these shortcuts in the quicklaunch bar.  Or what's the problem?
I just tested again and it does work, EXCEPT for the custom icon shortcut to desktop.  Any ideas on how I can get this to work for a custom icon shortcut to desktop?  Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:shrug:
Osamede

Re: Make xplorer2 default file browser option...

Post by Osamede »

TsunamiZ wrote:I've defaulted my file folders to open with xplorer2.
I'm obviously a newbie, but how exactly did you enable this? I am unable to find this option in the program.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

Osamede wrote:
I'm obviously a newbie, but how exactly did you enable this? I am unable to find this option in the program.
Windows:

control panel > folder options > file types

scroll down to "file folders", go into "advanced" options, highlight "open_x2" and click "set default"
Osamede

Post by Osamede »

TsunamiZ wrote:
Osamede wrote:
Windows:

control panel > folder options > file types

scroll down to "file folders", go into "advanced" options, highlight "open_x2" and click "set default"
Thanks. By the way, why "File Folders" as Opposed to "Folders" (the option below)?
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

because there is no "open_x2" option there.  and file folders seems to cover everything already.  :wink:
A.B.Ames

Post by A.B.Ames »

Hi,
I find the File Folder type doesn't work in NT4.0 (which seesm odd as it's layed out the same). I have to use the Folder type then select New, give it and action name of my choice, then browse and select the x² executable, when done select the action name I gave and select it as default.
Just outof habit this is also how in have done my 2k and Xp installs but will try the way mentioned here next time i get a chance.

A.B.Ames