Always show TABS!

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Always show TABS!

Post by TsunamiZ »

Please make the tab bar always show so it doesn't disappear when there is only 1 tab [this is similar to how most tabbed browsers work].  This will keep the program interface consistent, and it also helps point out the folder name.  

Check out the XP style tab visibility difference.  There is also no need for bold text in XP style tabs [even saving text space].  Note how the current gray tabs lack contrast against the GUI.  

Last edited by TsunamiZ on 2006 Dec 29, 20:10, edited 6 times in total.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

This has been asked before.
(I think it's on nikos' to-do list.)
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

Great.  Hopefully it will get added soon.  :wink:
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Then please make it optional, since the tab when single will be a vertical space hog.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

wasker wrote:Then please make it optional, since the tab when single will be a vertical space hog.
The tab bar doesn't take much vertical space, though.  And helps point out the folder name and maintain interface consistency.  But I guess it wouldn't hurt to have your option for users to choose.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Yes this is in the wishlist (and I am all for it; my logic for recommending it is, the tabs will be generally used; so there is not much point in trying to increase the pane height by a line when there is only one tab.)

It can be made optional (program options). This too is in the wishlist.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

narayan wrote:Yes this is in the wishlist (and I am all for it; my logic for recommending it is, the tabs will be generally used; so there is not much point in trying to increase the pane height by a line when there is only one tab.)

It can be made optional (program options). This too is in the wishlist.
Agreed.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

BTW, what's the use case for tabs? I don't really use them, so maybe I miss something?
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

wasker wrote:BTW, what's the use case for tabs? I don't really use them, so maybe I miss something?
LOL.  Tabs are for opening and switching between folders, and it keeps all opened folders within the program without a need to open additional unwiedly windows in the taskbar.  It's a more efficient way of browsing multiple folders.  Make a new tab out of the current folder by pressing CTRL+INS.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Well... My Documents button on my keyboard which runs x2 is easier to press. :)
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

wasker wrote:Well... My Documents button on my keyboard which runs x2 is easier to press. :)
Yeah.  There should be a quicker way to make a tab.  Having user customizable hotkeys would help.  :wink:
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

BTW, what's the use case for tabs? I don't really use them, so maybe I miss something?
Yes, you ARE definitely missing something ;)

Think of a set of tabs as a "Folder group", which can be saved and later reloaded in the folder pane.

The group is excellent for browsing across several folders (besides, each tab has its own history chain).

Each tab in the group also serves as drop-target when you want to reorganize your files. This works both in Drag-n-drop and also robust transfer commands.

For details, please read the user manual.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

There is also the benefit of always showing folder icons on the tab bar, which helps identify folders with custom icons [recycle bin, control panel, desktop, your own, etc.].  :D
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

nikos

Curious if this will be in the next update, as well.  :wink:
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

TsunamiZ wrote:[...]Yeah.  There should be a quicker way to make a tab.  Having user customizable hotkeys would help.  :wink:
Ctrl+Ins is not quick enough for you?  :roll:
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn: