Undo for Accidentally Closed Tab

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

dpupello

Undo for Accidentally Closed Tab

Post by dpupello »

I won't claim this is an earth-shattering need, but it would be nice.

Any chance of implementing a menu command for "Undo Tab Close"?

Accidentally closing tabs happens occasionally (at least to me) and it would be nice to have a quick way to restore it.  Especially if the tab had no relation to other tabs -- its location is "far away," or a very long UNC path like "\\ox-baker\and\AndretheGiant\versus\Dustyrhoades\and\JerryBrisco\announced\by\GordonSolie\".

Yes, I realize there are a myriad of ways to open new tabs, such as shortcut keys and bookmarks, so you can get back manually with a few steps. :)

But in the name of efficiency...

Dennis
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I would like to see this implemented as well.
kf

Post by kf »

this is very useful. Opera (8.5 and up) has this feature and it comes in extremely handy!

Kevin
David_1cog

Post by David_1cog »

I'd vote for something like this, or the option to change double click (close) behaviour on a tab which has caused accidental tab closure a few times for me.
David
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Even more than having an option to UNDO a 'close tab' action, I would like to ELIMINATE the specific action of d-click to close tab.
It is quite anti-intuitive: Clicking should always be a select or open action -- not the inverse.
Yes, I know that other apps use d-click to close items, and that some folks have learned this exception and have come to expect it.  But, IMNSHO, users should at least be able to opt out of this behaviour where it is offered.
abbeca

Post by abbeca »

I too would like to see this option. Like FireFox I find the tabs one of the most compelling reasons to use this program.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

d-click is traditionally associated with the default menu action, and for windows this usually is "close" -- although no such command exists in x2's tab menu  :?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

??
... usually is "close" ...
??
Hunh?  I can't find a single example of this.
Other than "undefined", defaults I find are "open", or "open with...".   :?
You must be speaking of a different context than file manager objects.
Please elaborate.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for example check the system menu in window corners
also when you d-click on x2 folder items you also get the default action from the context menu -- there it's usually "open"
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

okay -- that is an example.
My point, however is that the vast majority of items/objects do not have "close" as the default action, but rather call a forward-going action like "open", "edit", "view", "open with...", etc.

Please provide an option to not close a tab when d-clicking it.
It should be a lot less effort than implementing the initial request of "undo" at the top of this thread.  

And as Dennis said at the outset: "I won't claim this is an earth-shattering need, but it would be nice."  ;)

[EDIT: added missing phrase]
Last edited by fgagnon on 2006 Mar 29, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Sorry to reopen this old discussion, but this just caught me unawares, and found this thread ...
nikos wrote:... get the default action from the context menu...
OK, new user warning is in effect, BUT ...

I don't see CLOSE on any context menu, or is that different from the rt-click menu?

When I rt-click a tab, I get the move right/left options and rename tab (BTW, I too, am looking forward to the "save tab names" enhancement - just thought I'd mention it).

PJ in (sunny and warm!) Fla  :D  8)  :D
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

just to add to the confusion...   :)
for example check the system menu in window corners
when you look in the "system menu in window corners" you do see 'close' as the default action & when you double-click that same icon in the top-left corner, hey presto - the window closes...

but when you double-click the bar along the top, the window maximises!

and the bar is much bigger than the icon... and in x2's tabs there is also a bar area and a little icon!
d-click is traditionally associated with the default menu action
it's d-clicking the icon that triggers the default action... now since we have an both a bar and an icon (and since close is not on the menu)...

...if close was added to the menu as default, then double-clicking the icon could close the tab?! and maybe double-clickin the bar could do somethin else?  :D
ChodaBoy

Post by ChodaBoy »

Is there still no way to undo a tab close?
cprichard

Post by cprichard »

*bump*
patlange

Post by patlange »

I would love to be able to turn off double click to close.  I use a pen instead of a mouse and my hands aren't always steady.  Accidental double clicks happen to me all the time - most of the time it's of no consequence but NOT when a x2 folder I'm working in gets closed..