Replacing editor2 with my favorite one?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

danone

Replacing editor2 with my favorite one?

Post by danone »

Hi together,

is it possible to replace the editor (which opens by pressing the F3 key)
with my own favorit one (e.g. notepad++).

Any help would be great

Cheers,
cottonwet
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Tools|Options - Extenal text editor/viewer
danone

Post by danone »

Yes I have tried these settings, but only the F4 key works then. When I press
F3 - Editor2 still opens?

Cheers,
cottonwet
Brad

Post by Brad »

I just verified this problem. It seems that the "External Editor" field is used correctly, while the "External Viewer" setting is ignored. I'm using version 1.5.0.0 of xplorer2. Both options are being correctly stored in the registry and read back from the registry.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

If you are willing to edit the registry ...
replace the value for the szEditor2Path variable with the fullpath+filename of your external editor, and you should be able to invoke your preferred editor using F3.
... But note that if Editor² happens to be open, then another instance of it will be invoked instead of your preferred editor.  :shrug:

If you don't want to edit the registry, but can accept Ctrl+F3 as "close enough", then enter its fullpath+filename in the "Viewer" box
on the Tools | Options... | General tab.
added: Note that the documentation does not specify that Ctrl+F3 invokes the file/app named as "External viewer", nor does it say that the app can just as well be another editor -- If it has command-line 'switches' its behaviour will on what you put there (view only or edit).  ;)  

PS - See: "TWEAKING ADVANCED SETTINGS FOR XPLORER²" in the file registry.txt for more ideas.
And note that all instances of xplorer² must be closed (along with any and all scrap panes, etc.) before editing its registry settings, or the registry changes will not be recognized.