Evaluating xplorer2 - Some Questions (Bugs?)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

alxwz

Evaluating xplorer2 - Some Questions (Bugs?)

Post by alxwz »

Hi,

I'm out to search a new file manager and trying the likes of Directory Opus, xplorer2 an others. (I've been a registered user of Windows/Total Commander for years, but never could get used to the "Commander" style and find myself reverting back to Windows Explorer all the time). Please note that currently I am forced to run it under Win 98 SE.
I have a feature list I took from a current review of file managers from a German magazine, which unfortunately omitted xplorer2.
So I go through the features one by one with the aid of the manual.
But there are some things I can't find or can't get to work.

Batch copying/moving:
This should probably be done by queueing, but that seems to do nothing more than putting a very short delay in the copy/move operation. I can't get anything to add to the queue, which could be displayed as such. The queue is always empty, I always get an error sound.

Copying/moving files and renaming them in the same step:
I couldn't find a way to do that. Maybe I just missed something.

Creating a new folder and opening it in one go:
Does that work?

Synchronizing directories:
I can compare directories and get the different files and (sub)folders marked, but then I can't find a way to synchronize. The manual mentions a "sync-o-paste" (or syncopaste?) function that I can't find in the "edit" menu. Or, I can "compare subdirectories" and get some files with question marks, then the "sync-o-paste" function is there under the "edit" submenu, but it is greyed out.  
If synchronizing does work: Does it copy empty directories to the target as well? That would be very important for me because I often use empty directories as commented placeholders.

Archive support:
Unfortunately, this is a very weak spot in xplorer2 (which has been discussed before). At least, I'd like to find a way to open a ZIP archive in an xplorer2 pane like a folder, instead of opening a new window showing only the files in the archive (Note that although I use Win 98 SE, I have "Zipfolders" installed in Windows). Possible? That has always been one of the things that annoyed me in Windows' internal function. I might as well use a specialized archiver then to open the arcrhive in a new program window. Please note that I'm probably spoiled by Total Commander which will handle almost every archive type under the sun "inline".

Thanks in advance for any hints.
Alex
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I can't get anything to add to the queue
you add to the queue using F5 and then clicking on queue instead of copy. If each operation is quick then you won't manage to see the queue of course
Copying/moving files and renaming them in the same step
there is no option for that other than the provision to automatically rename files if their names collide with existing items; see the options in F5 dialog for more info
Creating a new folder and opening it in one go
this isn't possible since F8 will prompt you for a new name first; then you can press <enter> to get in

Synchronizing directories
when you are in simple (non-recursive) mode, F9 or its variants will just mark the files that must be copied. It's up to you to use F5 or something similar to complete the sync operation.

in deep mode (compare subfolders) again x2 will merely mark files. Then you pick sync-o-paste keeping in mind that the pane that is active is going to be the source and selected items will be copied to the inactive, each in their respective subfolder. It's better to experiment with this first with unimportant files to get the hang of it

there is no archive support for 9x sorry
alxwz

Post by alxwz »

nikos wrote: you add to the queue using F5 and then clicking on queue instead of copy. If each operation is quick then you won't manage to see the queue of course
So maybe I understood the "queue" wrongly (I tried "queue", but was wondering about the behaviour). I thought of it in a way of "batch copy", where you mark all files to copy first and then start all the copy operations. So it's only meant to let you start additional copy operations while the program still executes earlier copy operations. Is there any way to do a batch copy like I described?
Synchronizing directories
when you are in simple (non-recursive) mode, F9 or its variants will just mark the files that must be copied. It's up to you to use F5 or something similar to complete the sync operation.
I'm not sure I understood that one; unfortunately I don't have xplorer2 at hand right now to try again as I don't have the machine here the trial copy is installed on.
As an aside: The homepage said that there would be another chance to try with the new 1.5 version even if you had tried an earlier version. I had a 1.3.x version installed at some point (and uninstalled, and a lite version afterwards). When I tried to install the trial of 1.5, the install failed and I got some message that the evaluation period had expired. So I had to revert to another machine which I normally don't use to install the 1.5 trial and have a look at it; a machine I don't have at hand right now. So some of my comments now may be incomplete or inaccurate.
in deep mode (compare subfolders) again x2 will merely mark files. Then you pick sync-o-paste keeping in mind that the pane that is active is going to be the source and selected items will be copied to the inactive, each in their respective subfolder. It's better to experiment with this first with unimportant files to get the hang of it
I'm not sure I understood that completely (and I refer to my apology above of not having the right machine atm). But when I tried, I remember, I got a lot of files with question marks and a disabled sync-o-paste function in the menu.
there is no archive support for 9x sorry

That's not very important, as I will revert to Win 2000 (not XP) when I got some problems sorted out. But from what I've seen, archive support is only there for Zip files anyway. Do Zip folders open in the same pans (as directories) in Win 2000/XP? Or do they still open in a separate explorer window (I think that's the behaviour of XP's default installatiin of tipfolders)?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ batch copy -
Yes, just mark the items to be copied in the active pane,
then hit F5 to get a dialog box for defining the destination
(default is the folder open in the inactive folderpane).
re: where x2 website [news] item wrote:Upgrade info. If you are an existing customer you can download and install the new version at no extra cost. Your old licence will be automatically imported.
This version is open for a fresh 21-day trial even if you have tried one in the past.
I cannot speak to why v1501 doesn't permit you a fresh 21-day trial; but I suspect there's a bug in the installer.  Thank you for reporting it, so it can be addressed.

@ multiple I'm not sure I understood that ... comments -
As you imply with frustration, understanding those features is probably best addressed by working with the product -- which should be resolved with a corrected installer (hopefully quickly) to permit you a fresh 21-day trial.

@ Do Zip folders open in the same pane (as directories) in Win 2000/XP?
Yes. They are browsed as any other folder/directory in xplorer²; but searches have limited functionality inside zipfolders.

HTH until nikos gets back to you.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

The x2docs.pdf file (download the 1.5.0.0 version from the site) describes most of what you have asked. (e.g. "what is queue").

You may not even need to use v1.5 to understand these issues, because the working is explained with screenshots.  

All you have to do is search the pdf for the phrase you are looking for. (Press CTRL+F)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I had a 1.3.x version installed at some point (and uninstalled, and a lite version afterwards). When I tried to install the trial of 1.5, the install failed and I got some message that the evaluation period had expired.
this runs contrary to my experience
did anybody else have problems with the re-trial? (no registered users)
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

nikos wrote:this runs contrary to my experience
did anybody else have problems with the re-trial? (no registered users)
Yes, that's what I had happen when I tried to install 1.5.0.1.  I did successfully install 1.5.0.0 for the 21-day trial. I may have been at the end of that trial period when I tried to install 1.5.0.1, and that was around that time I registered, so the timing is fuzzy.
alxwz

Post by alxwz »

I should add that I think (but am not 100% sure) it was a 1.3 trial version I had installed, tried for a short while and then had it untouched for a long time, when it ran out and I replaced it by a lite version.
I usually keep the files I dl'd around in my archive, and the 1.3 version was the only one there when I dl'd 1.5.0.1 and tried to install it.
But given the release dates of 1.5/1.5.0.1 (the first trial was almost certainly earlier), my descriptions seems to be correct.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the only explanation i can think of is that perhaps you have done some system restore or other change that resulted in registry tweaking that has corrupted x2's registration info and as a result you couldn't have the re-trial
alxwz

Post by alxwz »

Well, I thought it to be a good idea to delete all registry keys I could connect to xplorer2 before installing the (re)trial version. Maybe I destroyed somthing that way.

But probably I'm excused now because I just registered :-)

Actually, that was more to honor the committment of the developer (which is remarkable) than being overwhelmed by the program.
It is nice, but I still think that the archive support is lame and I'd also like to be able to put it on my USB stick, as it's such a nice lean app...
allen

Post by allen »

alxwz wrote:It is nice, but I still think that the archive support is lame and I'd also like to be able to put it on my USB stick, as it's such a nice lean app...
More robust archive support would be welcomed, but I haven't had too many complaints as of yet -- On the other hand, your USB note I absolutely agree with.  My only -real- complaint with x2 is its reliance on the registry, I'd love the option to store config in an ini file for portability (and easier backup).  Are there any potential plans for this or is it an absolute not-happening?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it is sort of possible to do that already, since you can Actions | Export settings and carry the REG file with you wherever you go. If you search the forum you'll see somebody has recommended an automated script for this task

but keep in mind that if you go around using your registration key in computers you don't use you may run foul of your licence agreement! (if you leave x2 behind and other users can use it)
allen

Post by allen »

That's why I just wanted the registration to be in a local configuration file, usable only by the person holding my usb drive . . . me :)

I'm aware of the workarounds, I was just pestering you for a non-workaround approach.  Looking around, I see I'm not the only one bugging you about it, so I should leave it alone while you're still in a good mood :)
alxwz

Post by alxwz »

Oops, have been away for quite a while, and now I'm surprised that there were indeed some new posts for this thread.
I'd like to add two more aspects to the already mentioned feature requests.

(1) Concerning archive support: I don't think every file manager should implement its own archive support, but instead rely on external packers (esp. concerning proprrietary formats like RAR) or use something like MultiArc which can embed external packers (did I mention that already? not sure about that).

(2) More importantly, and something I wanted to suggest for  a while now:
While I understand the reasonig - from a programmer's perspective - behind putting some keys into the registry (under HKLM) to make the app less portable and while there might be some workarounds to put the app on a USB stick nonetheless (where the workaround usually consists of exporting the registration data and reinstalling it on the target machine), there is still the problem that (a) there might be only limited user access to the target machine, making access to HKLM keys in the registry impossible, and (b) if you have full access to the target machine, the possible proliferation of the app to an unlimited number of machines is unfortunate for the developer.

So may I suggest a "dinghy mode" for the app that has to be installed permanently on a primary computer where it is licensed to and the additional possibility to copy it to portable media with full functionality (no nag screens, limitations etc.) with the only requirement to be "docked" again to the machine where the primary installation is, to be "recharged" within a certain time limit? The time limit for the return to the "mother ship" could be identical to the one for a trial version. If you're the registered owner of the program, you could be able to use the app on your USB stick without any severe obstacles. If you're not, you would only have a trial version on your USB stick.

Please note that I know that you can use the "Lite" version of x2 from your USB stick without limitations, but IMO the "Lite" version is not sufficient.

Alex
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this could be a good idea but i'd rather spend my limited time improving the product rather than fighting a battle that can't be won against crackers that could have a field day with  such a system!