find/delete weirdness...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

yamo

find/delete weirdness...

Post by yamo »

Scenario, want to find all files based on an attribute status (eg SVN Status non-versioned and not path .svn). The query seems to work.

but on one machine, either just letting it sit there or attempting to select files and delete, would show that the search would restart (go from Ready to (ESC to abort) searching ....

On another machine, after selecting the files, when I press SHIFT and click on the delete toolbar icon, it adds a separator to the toolbar in front of the delete button.

Also, if I try a "delete" sometimes it seems to "remove" them from the view instead. This is all very confusing and I don't see why the keyboard delete functionality wouldn't be left as the windows default behavior in the first place?!

I searched the help, and it didn't seem to have a specific section on deleting files and the different behavior, but maybe I missed something, or didn't search for the right keyword.

?!
Peter
yamo

doh, left out part of scenario...

Post by yamo »

Search is working... it's the deleting of files from the list of found files that I am having trouble with... Should be evident from the discussion but since I left that part out of the scenario, figured it might be confusing to some!-P
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Hi Yamo,

Maybe you need to click the button on the toolbar in order to delete from  a search.

You can add a TRASH button if you want to permanently delete the file.

Or hold CTRL and then press delete if you want to simply delete files (adding them to the Recycle bin if they're on a local disk).

Hope that helps.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

yamo wrote:... if I try a "delete" sometimes it seems to "remove" them from the view instead. This is all very confusing and I don't see why the keyboard delete functionality wouldn't be left as the windows default behavior in the first place?! ...
This was a design decision as what seemed most logical to the designer for working with the scrap pane list -- which only LOOKS like a regular folder pane, but in reality is a list of items which may exist in different folders and drives and servers, etc.  

I will admit that it seems confusing; but for now the design is cast, and it is up to the user to remember that the scrap panes are a little different. :(

Perhaps when nikos implements complete user-configurable key associations with commands, then users can define their own "most logical" associations.

Until then, the User Manual describes the situation:
Removing items from scrap panes
To remove any items, select the items and press DEL (or use menu option File | Remove). The images of these selected items will be removed from the scrap pane, but the original items are not erased from the disk.

Deleting items
Using the scrap pane, you can delete the original items from the disk: press CTRL+DEL (or use menu option File | Delete). These items will be deleted and their images will be removed from the scrap pane.
yamo

thx for help ref but...

Post by yamo »

Ok, I figured it might be under find but I thought my search on delete should lead me there.

So it is all by design, fine. But the behavior with the toolbar button is still weird. When I hover over it, it says:
"
Send selected items to the recycle bin (<Shift> for permanent deletion)  
"

But if I Shift Click that button I end up with a new separator in the toolbar and no deletion.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

yamo wrote:But the behavior with the toolbar button is still weird. When I hover over it, it says:
"
Send selected items to the recycle bin (<Shift> for permanent deletion)  
"
Mine only says: Delete (DEL) when hovering on toolbar button. (v1501)
But I think I recall an earlier version giving the misinformation you report.
What version of xplorer² are you running?

(The confusion was that by design, holding Shift while clicking a toolbar button inserts a separtor bar to the left of the button. And holding Shift while pressing the Delete key forces a delete bypassing the recycle bin.)
yamo

I am v1501...

Post by yamo »

accord to help/about:
1.5.0.1 [Unicode]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

<shift> is a shortcut used by the toolbar to rearrange buttons with drag-drop, so it can't be used in conjunction with DEL button. That's why the TRASH button is available, you'll find it if you right-click the toolbar to customize it