Filtered Sync-O-Paste: possible?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nealeh

Filtered Sync-O-Paste: possible?

Post by nealeh »

I've never really had much fortune with synchronisation ( :( ). But here's a scenario I'm sure x2 could do - but I can't work it out.

I have two folders (c:\Windows and c:\Hold4Delete\Windows). I want to delete all *.log files from the c:\Windows hierarchy but, in case of problems, want to duplicate that structure in c:\Hold4delete\Windows first.

I've been looking at sync-o-paste ( pg 125 / 126 of manual ) and
R-click inside the folder pane, and from the context menu, select the Paste special | Structured scrap clips option. All items are pasted in their respective subfolders.

from page 130. But I cannot get either to do anything.

Is it mandatory that only whole file structures can be synchronized or is it possible to do what I've described above (a flltered subset).

Cheers,
Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Here is one way to do it

1. Go in side your Windows folder.
2. Press ctrl+F to launch search window
3. search for *.log. The search results will appear in a scrap pane.
4. Select all the files from scrap pane using Ctrl+A and press Ctrl+X
5. Switch back to main Xplorer2 window and go inside c:\Hold4Delete\Windows folder (create if it does not exist)
6. Right click inside the folder and choose

Paste Special->Structured scrap clips.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

or you could use robust copy F5 and specify a filter for the files to be copied, e.g. "*.log"
negg

Post by negg »

snakebyte wrote:Here is one way to do it

4. Select all the files from scrap pane using Ctrl+A and press Ctrl+X
5. Switch back to main Xplorer2 window and go inside c:\Hold4Delete\Windows folder (create if it does not exist)
6. Right click inside the folder and choose

Paste Special->Structured scrap clips.
Sorry for bringing up that old topic, but matches so good: just tried this and it does not work here: files are copied but not removed from their original destination. What's going wrong here?
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Are the files you are trying to remove readonly or locked by other application? Can you delete them manually after copying to other folder?
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

As mentioned in the User Manual, Structured scrap clips are for copying; not for moving. So CTRL+X will work as if you used CTRL+C.

If you want to delete the original, you have to do that separately (obviously, after you copy through structured scrap clips).

The source files are already highlighted in the scrap pane. Simply switch back to that pane and then Click on the X button. (Pressing Delete only removes all items from scrap pane without deleting them from the disk.)
negg

Post by negg »

snakebyte wrote:Are the files you are trying to remove readonly or locked by other application? Can you delete them manually after copying to other folder?
Sometime, yes, but actually this time there seems to be a bug (or a glitch with my widnows configuration) that when using PSSClips with a folder that contains a zip file, in the target there is a folder created with the same name, and then the file is being copied. This throws an error, as you cannot copy a file into a folder, where a folder with the same name exists...I think I should investigate this problem an file a bug report, though.

Anyway: the copy-process in interrupted, and I have to deselect the problematic file and start all over again. Tedious.
narayan wrote:As mentioned in the User Manual, Structured scrap clips are for copying; not for moving. So CTRL+X will work as if you used CTRL+C.
On page 334/335 under the description how to use structured scrap clips as an alternative to robust copy/move the documentation says:

"Step2: [...] In the scrap pane, select a batch of files and press CTRL+C. Then r-click in the destination folder in x2 window, and select Paste special | Structured scrap clips. [...] For moving the directory across (rather than copying it), the procedure is slightly different: In step-2, press CTRL+X instead of CTRL+C"

That implies that cut works with structured scrap clips, doesn't it? Or do I understand something wrong here?

But aside of the documentation: as paste structured scrap clips unfortunately does not work with the "robust" functions the whole process is obsolete when you try to copy a complex structure where files are unreadable (something that happens often when "cleaning up" a corporate fileserver): you have to start copying all over again, even if only one of the last files fails. I went into detail in this thread about syncing why this is so sad.

I still hope one day Nikos will implement Paste Structured Scrap Clips with the robust copy function...all those syncing problems would be solved.